• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm 12, and what is this?

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm not really 12. but i am not sure what this is. i've never seen a pinion brake looking thing on any XJ. it looks factory, and i dont think it works at the moment.
DSCN1554.jpg

i'm stumped...
-Ian

What the hell is that?

well there is a pad of sorts, and it touches that "ring" at the very front. thats where i got the brake park from. i dont know what it is, but it'll work as a pinion guard lol

Looks to me like a rear axle disconnect although why you'd need that ... dunno.

I'd be all over finding where that cable leads and then figuring from there.

EDIT - found it ... Remco disconnect

http://www.remcodsc.com/

as foxwar71 stated ... for towing behind your RV

Last edited:
Thats kind of neat. But, kind of not needed for towing an XJ. Just put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in park and roll. I guess if you wanted to save wear on the transfer case.

Do you have an extra lever someplace for it?

Unless its an old XJ with a vacuum disconnect on the axle. The tcase didn't have a true neutral and if you put them in neutral while it was running it would lock the front axle in and blow up the tcase.

It happened to me.

i'm sure its floating around somewhere, i'll search for that lever in the morning. hopefully its located in a good spot and not somewhere i cant reach while driving.

Back