• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifting problems

cody71

NAXJA Forum User
hello. i have a 1995 jeep cherokee sport. my problem i believe lies with the kickdown cable/detent cable. the problem is if the jeep sits for maybe an hour or over night all the shift points change and i dont have torque converter lock up or passing gear. but if i put the car in park shut the ignition off and pull the detent cable back then push the throttle down to the floor to rest the cable then start the jeep it runs like a champ all shift points are dead on O/D and torque converter locks up around 45mph with normal driving. when it does act up the shifts are around 2600 to 3000 rpm with average driving and kicks when it does. it varies every time it acts up. but as soon as i reset the cable its fine until it sits. the cable doesnt seem to be moving. i have also replaced the TPS and checked the fluid. and if the info helps it has 290,000 miles and does not slip. this is my first jeep so any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: shifting broblems

Try this. can't hurt and might help.

Cruiser’s Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the trans dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and trans solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.
Revised 3-28-2012

thank you. well ive checked the things you guys suggested and everything looks good with no corrosion or bent pins. and yes i do have backup lights. one new addition when i got off work today i adjusted the cable before starting the jeep. and there was no problem untill about half way home ruffly 12 miles. it started doing the same thing but i did my own test i had a white paint marker with me and i marked the detent cable while it was shifting bad then adjusted it it put it exactly back where it was when it was shifting bad but the problem whent away the rest of the way home. this is very frustrating:flamemad: and thank you again for your help so far

i just checked the TPS and it appears to be good with no flat spots or jumps and just under 5 volts going to it

I would be inclined to check the TPS when you know for certain that the problem is happening.

I wonder if the action of putting the pedal to the floor is clearing up the issue or if its messing with the cable. Take the cable connector off the throttle body and see if it might be binding.

well i just went to the store and the it happend right away. so i tried my trick and it didnt work this time. so i checked the TPS and it still shows good. i am clueless on and i just want my jeep back. but im not giving up.and could the problem possibly be linked to vacume and thank you for your time and help ive already learned some good info from this.

. and yes i do have backup lights.

But did you clean the NSS? OD is linked to the NSS as well as all the other gears. No Back up lights are common first signs (i know you have them) but a dirty or failing NSS directly effects OD too.

If all your under hood grounds, TPS, kick down cable all check to be good. With 290K on OD i would be inclined to poke around and clean the NSS and or checking trans OD solenoid. :dunno:

Ok I will clean it out today. I didn't know it could still be faulty if the backup lights still worked. But now I know.

Well I just cleaned the NSS and I was a pain in the a#$ to get off. But the problem is still here and now I can't get it to go back to normal even by moving the detent cable

ok i just ran a snap on diagnostics scanner and it kept showing 705 which is TPS fault. so i put the old TPS back on and it didnt throw the code until i backed out of my driveway so i drove down the street and came back and shut it off and then restarted it. it didnt throw the code this time and it ran great. so i must be testing the TPS rong. or there is a wire or conection messed up. im thinking the TPS because latley i couldlnt get it to run right at all and after the old TPS was put back on it i was able to get it to shift right momentarily

so i bought another TPS today cause i thought maybe the one i had gotten from autozone was bad and maybe for some reason i wasent testing it right. well the new one worked better but still at least 50% of the time it wont shift right and still throws the code. the wires appear to be good and i get a good ground and just under 5 volts to the TPS. idk what im doing wrong or what the heck is going on with it. could it maybe be the computer. and it wont start in nutral now. maybe after i cleaned the NSS i didnt put it back in the exact same place.

Back