• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ice in Parking Brake Cables

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey:

I live in Northern Montana, and it *always* gets below freezing every night for 4 months of every year.

2 years ago, I replaced my parking brake cables (with Dorman brand), and now they always get ice inside them during winter time. If I set the parking brake during Winter, I come out the next morning, and the cables are frozen. The old cables never did that during winter -- but they eventually wore out. So with these new cables, during winter, I just leave it in gear without parking brakes. I'm doing a lot of work on the Jeep right now, and would like to get this fixed.

Anyone have a solution for this? Any way to better seal up these cables?

If the only solution is to replace with new cables, does anyone know which brand is best?

Thanks for any advice you can provide to solve this problem.

PS: Please don't tell me to not use the P-Brake during winter ... I'm trying to properly fix this problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't use the parking brake during winter.

Kidding. I've never had an issue with them freezing (in South Carolina) but I did install a set of Dorman cables a while back and was not pleased at all with their quality. I removed them and installed Jeep cables from the dealer. Much, much better.

I pulled the rear wheels to adjust the rear brakes, and I noticed the e-brake cables were not sealed against the brake backing plate. Not even close ... a big gap. The little clip on the inside didn't even do a half-assed job of holding the cable housing against the backing plate. Water was getting into the cable housing and into the brake area. I'll get some dealer cables to get a better seal.

Back