• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any of you guys know about rangers?

Thinking about gettin a 01 2.3 5 speed. These good trucks?

I meet quiet a few on my hunting trips, really nice fellas when you get to know them.:laugh:

the dohc 2.3 will have the most power out of all the 4cyl rangers, but i dont know about it's reliability. the sohc 2.3 was absolutely bulletproof, but only maybe 90hp. the dohc from mid 01 and up i believe is about 150hp.
the twin i beam is gone so you may have a shot at decent tire wear.
i loved my rangers except for lack of hp. i think if i ever got another one, it'd be with the dohc 2.3

I suppose it depends on what you are doing with it. I personally would only get a ranger with a 4.0L/5spd, unless it was cheap enough and could toss a small block in it.
Dunno if you are considering mileage, but depending on the gearing it can be good/bad.

I suppose it depends on what you are doing with it. I personally would only get a ranger with a 4.0L/5spd, unless it was cheap enough and could toss a small block in it.
Dunno if you are considering mileage, but depending on the gearing it can be good/bad.
they're rated at 27mpg highway, which is the same as the old 2.3. i averaged about 23mpg beating the dog poo out of it, combined. seems like you couldnt get worse than 20 in that thing.

My younger boy - carpenter - has one, and he's been happy with it. V6 model - apart from having a blown head gasket, he's been fine.

Me, I've been doing a lot of work on Explorers of late, and I've been finding the "Serious Explorations" site (Ford Ranger/Explorer/Expedition owner's site, like this one) to be very useful. You might have good luck finding information there, if you Google them.

I don't know I have an offer to trade for it for my xj. Might jump on this since my jeep is getting older and older and this is an 01. If I do I feel I will regret it, though. Hahah. Have 206500 on the ticker and worry every day something will happen.

I don't know I have an offer to trade for it for my xj. Might jump on this since my jeep is getting older and older and this is an 01. If I do I feel I will regret it, though. Hahah. Have 206500 on the ticker and worry every day something will happen.

206K isn't so bad.

They go further than that and when they blow you can pick up another motor for $150 or so.

My younger boy - carpenter - has one, and he's been happy with it. V6 model - apart from having a blown head gasket, he's been fine.

Me, I've been doing a lot of work on Explorers of late, and I've been finding the "Serious Explorations" site (Ford Ranger/Explorer/Expedition owner's site, like this one) to be very useful. You might have good luck finding information there, if you Google them.

REpost?

You shittin me? Also, idea of a standard trans excites me. I wishy xj was.

Nope. All truth.

Most guys get 250-280K out of the motors.

You can put a manual in there if you want as well.

As Vanimal said the 2.3 is a solid engine, those things are about as reliable as a 4.0. They're also a non-interference engine so when the timing belt pops it's no big deal.

I would avoid the 3.0 V6, that thing is a gutless wonder, the 4.0 is good though.

As Vanimal said the 2.3 is a solid engine, those things are about as reliable as a jeep 4.0. They're also a non-interference engine so when the timing belt pops it's no big deal.

I would avoid the 3.0 V6, that thing is a gutless wonder, the ford 4.0 is good though.
i knew what you meant, but to avoid confusion i added jeep to the above statement. :D
yea, the 3.0 is a turd, too bad i dont think they put a 4.0 in the 2wd trucks of that era.

Interesting.

Identical posts - must have been a system hiccough. There's no way I could have typed out the same thing twice - using the same words, in the same order.

Interesting that they appeared with a couple of posts between them, but I'm sure I only answered this once.

Nope. All truth.

Most guys get 250-280K out of the motors.

You can put a manual in there if you want as well.

Yea I've heard of dudes getting 500+ and usually it's just a head cracks and they don't catch it in time. I'm just going to keep my jeep. I love it too much to give it up for a cookie cutter such as a ranger. Plus I'm getting a full set of bilstiens for $200 this weekend and I wanna beat on em :p

Yea I've heard of dudes getting 500+ and usually it's just a head cracks and they don't catch it in time. I'm just going to keep my jeep. I love it too much to give it up for a cookie cutter such as a ranger. Plus I'm getting a full set of bilstiens for $200 this weekend and I wanna beat on em :p

I don't think 320K+ is common. Most of them die before reaching 280K

Come to think of it, I haven't heard of anyone around here getting over 350K....

my 2.3 ranger was pretty good. 89, stick and two wheel drive. i think the thing i loved about it the most was that i never checked the cooling system or added water when i had it and it never ran hot even on 115 degree weather in traffic. it had 240k miles when i sold it too.

i loved my 2.3 ranger. with an 8.8 with lsd that thing was amazing. had a header and a super 44 and it had plenty of power for pismo.

Back