• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternate motor mount

Programbo

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short my XJ was in a wreck and 2 of the 3 right side motor mount bolt holes (The treaded ones that extend out from the engine block) cracked. One is just useless now and the other is only half threaded. (Sorry no pics). I see there are a number of other threaded holes on the right side of the engine. Do they make or has anyone fabricated a motor mount using some of these alternate holes? Thanks

Brown Dog Industries make a h.d. bracket that uses more holes to go with their Motor mounts.

They are also A Supporter of this forum and are highly recommended by quite a few people around here for their Quality and C.S.

And as a Bonus MADE IN AMERICA!

Last edited:
Whether you can get/use an aftermarket one, its not safe in your situation. Those aftermarket ones help "spread the load"

Whether you can get/use an aftermarket one, its not safe in your situation. Those aftermarket ones help "spread the load"

/\/\This!!

Have you thought about talkig to a machine shop and getting the holes filled, re-drilled, then tapped. Since our blocks are cast, this should work. Had something like this done on an old 240 that I had. Worked great, wasn't the cheapest but it fixed it.

I had to go with Brown Dog setup.They was perfect.Talk to them and let them know who,what and where. They take a few days to get them but it is worth the wait.
Look at the mounting points on the BD's.like he said, spreads it out.
This is what i started with
002-7.jpg

This is the brown dogs installed
003-5.jpg

Now i do get a little more vibs out of it, but we don't care.We have offroaded it hard since i installed these.

Have you thought about talkig to a machine shop and getting the holes filled, re-drilled, then tapped. Since our blocks are cast, this should work. Had something like this done on an old 240 that I had. Worked great, wasn't the cheapest but it fixed it.

I considered every option. The problem is there are basically no holes to fill or drill. My whole engine shifted forwards and basically 2 of the bolts ripped off parts of the mounting studs. I made this crude drawing to show what I have. basically the engine and mount studs are on the bottom in black. The motor mount plate is in blue and the bolts holding the mount to the engine are in red. One of my mounting studs coming off the engine is fine the other two have a lot of the side of the mounting stud ripped away. One is to far gone to be of any use and the other has enough missing you can see the threads all the way down the side of the bolt.

74918-mount-bolts.jpg

how about welding a stud in the broken spots, then keep building up the missing areas with weld and grind it a little so the mount sits flat? then you could just use a nut on those two.

Gonna need special equipment since the block is cast iron dan
Guessing the OP doesn't have that stuff laying around, since he is here asking about it.

Back