• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help figuring out sensor wiring

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a BMW coolant fan switch sensor to use in my taurus e-fan conversion. The sensor has 3 posts on it and I need some advice figuring out which post is what?

well, there is only 3 ways it can go...

I know but I need to know which post will be for the low speed setting, which is for the high speed setting, and which is the lead wire.

Basically I figured I can use a voltmeter to figure this out but I don't know what I should be looking for.

My guess is that the switch works off impedance and that there is a different resistance for different temp settings but I don't know what else to look for? If it is resistance is a higher resistance than the other the higher or the lower temp setting?

i would start by looking up how bmw uses it.

I tried that and couldn't come up with much searching the interweb using the Google machine. I have the pigtail from the BMW I got it from and I tried seeing if I could find info for the wiring in that specific vehicle but still couldn't find what I was looking for. I am guessing alot of the BMW crowd doesn't do a whole lot of DIY work on that particular model.

So now I am seeing if any of you know of ways to test this thing to figure it out?

any luck on a bmw forum?

When I searched google it pulled up links to a number of different BMW forums but it did not provide any useful information to what I need to help me figure out my particular situation. I did not search through the forums myself using their forum search engine since I figured google had already found the relative links that I had seen.

i would create an account on one, and post up there. much more likely to find someone that is familiar with bmw stuff

I did find out that the sensor is made by Tridon out of Australia so I sent them an e-mail with my questions but I haven't heard back from them yet and I don't know if I will. Which is why I am seeking help from the XJ community to see if there are any wiring gurus out there that could offer up some good advice.

i would create an account on one, and post up there. much more likely to find someone that is familiar with bmw stuff

I was thinking I might have to do that but I wanted to try asking here first since I would rather not have to join ANOTHER forum that I would have cluttering my inbox with annoying e-mails.

I was also just thinking of going to my local BMW dealership with the sensor and the vehicle info and seeing if one of the technicians there could look up the wiring diagram for me.

What year / make Beemer? Alldata may have pinout and function

1992 BMW 525i with the 6 cylinder 2.5L(I believe, I have it written down somewhere but pretty sure it was a 2.5L which I thought was tiny for a 6 cylinder but then again Jaguar has a 4.0L V8 in their cars so the Europeans just make them small I guess)

I have never heard of AllData before...

If you go to "www.facet.it" and look up their part 7.5617 it shows temp specs and schematic as follows

circuit#1 on at 91C and off at 86C
circuit #2 on at 99C and off at 94C

Ok I know their on off temps for each circuit I need to know which post on the sensor itself is what? They are unmarked so I have no idea which wire to connect to which post.

I tried checking www.facet.it but it was in a different language so I can't read it to find the schematic. Alldata requires some sort of membership and I am not going to pay to sign up for some membership that I won't get my money's worth.

Can anyone tell me what the schematic is?

SMP p/n TS-296 shows some markings on the inside of the connector on their web catalog. My guess the unmarked pin is the common, the pin marked 1 is number one, and pin marked 2 is the number 2 circuit. You can always use an ohmeter and
boiling water or to see which circuit closes first.

SMP p/n TS-296 shows some markings on the inside of the connector on their web catalog. My guess the unmarked pin is the common, the pin marked 1 is number one, and pin marked 2 is the number 2 circuit. You can always use an ohmeter and
boiling water or to see which circuit closes first.

Now we are getting somewhere! Thanks for the helpful info!

Back