• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5150 Shock Stem Adapter

sdspearo

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm thinking of using these stem adapters on the upper mount of Bilstein 5150 shocks. Anyone know how the compressed/extended lengths will change? Will using these adapters essentially shorten or lengthen the shock, and by how much?

30j7o5k.jpg

real easy way to snap a stem off a shock, look into either a set of bar pin eliminators or detours shock cheaters

If I am guessing correctly on what your asking here, Bilstien makes a stem conversion for the 5150 shocks, and it does sort of look like that. You screw off the eye, and thread the stem on. I did this to my front 5150's and picked up approx. 1/2" to 3/4" of travel. If you want to get a set of these to add to a Bilstein 5150 shock that already has the stem, moving you shock travel DOWN 2 inches, then I agree with Robs post above. In a pinch they work OK (in the case that shocks are too short and you need to just add 2 more inches of useable travel), but I wouldn't trust them for long-term hard use.

Andy,
Yes, from what I understand, the upper eye mount on the Bilstein 5150's is removeable by unscrewing it. You can convert the mount to a stem by using this stem adapter (Bilstein P/N 192228). The amount of travel shouldn't change, only shift. I just need to know by how much and in which direction so I can size accordingly. Essentially, do these adapters make the published ext/compressed dimensions shorter or longer?

I don't want to add this adapter on top on an existing stem to get a longer shock.

I am using a set of them on the front of the XJ. As said before, you unscrew the eyes that are there and replace them with the studs. They do increase the length by about 1.5".

Great, thanks! Okay, increase by about 1.5".

The shock I'm looking at (Bilstein 25-186277) is 29.7" extended/17.78" compressed. So, with these adapters the new numbers are about 31.2/19.28.

Great, thanks! Okay, increase by about 1.5".

The shock I'm looking at (Bilstein 25-186277) is 29.7" extended/17.78" compressed. So, with these adapters the new numbers are about 31.2/19.28.

Won't you loose 1.5 up travel but gain 1.5 down?

Why not run the JKS style Stem adapters, or make your own?

I'm running 5150s and just went a got a set of JKS upper stud to eye coversion and was done. There are a few companies that make them and vary in prices but for the most part they're all around 50 bucks give or take.

Poly Perf makes shock adapters that are way cheaper than JKS. I run em.
That is why I wrote JKS "style" not just JKS. I've had off-brand ones that work just fine.

Because by the time you add in the length of the eye, plus the stem adapter its longer than ordering the stem from Bilstein and swapping out the upper eye to a stem. I didn't see 1.5" of difference though, more like 1/2" to 3/4", like I wrote above. I had fairly short stem adapters though, so that may have been the difference.

It was my understanding that their BPE/ stem to eye mounts only net MAYBE .75" max.

Won't you loose 1.5 up travel but gain 1.5 down?

Yes, since adding these adapters to existing shocks results in moving the piston down, reducing the static length of the shock.

Won't really apply in my case since I'm sizing the shock with the adapters in place.

It was my understanding that their BPE/ stem to eye mounts only net MAYBE .75" max.

I thought Bar Pin Eliminators only apply to the lower eye mount?

This is another option. Looks like the JKS adapters add 1.1" to the compressed/extended lengths.

I'm ultimately trying to find a front shock close to 31" extended and 19" compressed, eye mount on bottom, stem on top, and 2" max body dia. Don't want spend more than 100 bucks/shock, not including any adapters, so the short body 7100 series are out.

The 5150's I'm looking at (with the 1.1" JKS adapters) are 30.8"/18.88"...close enough :)

I didn't see 1.5" of difference though, more like 1/2" to 3/4", like I wrote above.

My guestimate may be a little off since I have not been close to my XJ since 2009. However, I do remember that the extended length you get after adding the adapter to change from eye to studd were about the same as changing to the Bilstein studd. I already bought a set of the JKS adaptors but opted for the studs instead.

This is another option. Looks like the JKS adapters add 1.1" to the compressed/extended lengths.

I'm ultimately trying to find a front shock close to 31" extended and 19" compressed, eye mount on bottom, stem on top, and 2" max body dia. Don't want spend more than 100 bucks/shock, not including any adapters, so the short body 7100 series are out.

The 5150's I'm looking at (with the 1.1" JKS adapters) are 30.8"/18.88"...close enough :)

Poly performance has non-resi Bilstein 7100s for just above 100$/shock.

Back