• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sway Bar Links

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a Rubicon Express 3.5" SuperFlex lift kit this past weekend and when we started putting the rear end back together, we noticed that we had to crank pretty hard on the sway bar to get it to sit down on the leaf springs. Are there extensions or sway bar links that will take the stress off of the sway bar? If so, would it make sense to have disconnects back there, too, to free up the rear axle?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm still learning.

step 1: remove the rear sway bar assembly.
step 2: install the rear sway bar assembly in a garbage can (where it belongs).
step 3: enjoy your better performing xj.

Mine spends more time with a boat trailer on it then offroading and needing a lot of flex so I left it on. I cut the links and extended them the same amount as my lift.

Mine spends more time with a boat trailer on it then offroading and needing a lot of flex so I left it on. I cut the links and extended them the same amount as my lift.

Same.
i noticed the rear was very squirrelly and the boat liked to dance a little too much when towing as well. Just made some simple DC just like the front. But I drove a mildly modified/lowered Ford Ranger that I was used to slinging around turns at 70mph....

I am with the general XJ knowledge that it "really" is not needed, but neither are shoes. One trip in high winds with a 18' boat and I was sold it was going to stay on there.

My 1994 XJ had one which provided me with my very first mod. It was retired to an unused shed out back within days of purchasing the XJ.

Chrysler robbed me of that pleasure by not fitting one on my 1996 XJ. I did not miss the one I removed form the 1994. For the 1996? Well, one cannot miss something that one never had.

With my wife being the primary driver of my XJ, I don't think I want to lose my rear sway bar completely. I'm actually really liking the idea of using disconnects. I'm probably going to fab them using heim joints, similar to the fronts. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Issue never presented itself with the Ranger; a much smaller vehicle.

I have never towed with my XJ but reading posts from others who have done so, I guess I would have retained the anti-roll bar in the rear and/or stiffened the rear springs to help with the extra load thus reduced the amount of body roll.

the first year I had my lift I towed quite often with it. Rear sway is not needed and my grandma can drive it safely.

I'd try it without first you won't really notice it's gone there is a reason no one makes a part for this. (not needed).

I.m.o. Any time spent on the rear sway is wasted time.

Back