• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throw out bearing and floor pan rust

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
So I had my brother pick up my xj so I could auto-x it a couple Sats ago(I drove the m3) and on his way to the stadium, the clutch went out on him. Last week I dropped the tranny and found that the culprit was the clip that holds the throw-out bearing to the fork--both sides broken and fork was riding on the pressure plate. I ordered a new TOB from AA and a new fork and pivot clip from Jeep. I used this opportunity to swap out the Daystar poly tranny mount and used a stock rubber replacement. My xj has poly everywhere and MORE bombproof MMs, so was already stiff and the addition of the Daystar last year put me over the NVH edge. All is well now. A month or so ago, I drove my friend's gf and her friend to see a show one of their friends were playing at that I was mixing for. I get free drinks since I work there and got them hooked up with a discount. On the ride back, her friend in the back decided to yak a couple of the vodka cranberries on my floor(rookie). I knew that there was some rust on the driver's floorpan and that I was gonna have to tackle it this season, the console was out from the tranny drop, so yesterday and today I gutted her(probably weighs ~2900). Here's some pics of the rust:
Driver's side front
001-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

inside by right rear fender
003-4.jpg

front right corner of passenger footwell
004-4.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see your issue, you can still see floorpans. :bawl:

If you haven't put the clutch back together yet, look carefully at the part of the diaphragm the throwout bearing rides on. When it wears, the throwout bearing can eat right through it and jam. Guess how I know that? :bawl:

I got it all back together last week and with some fresh MTL, it shifts better than ever. I wasn't sure that the slave was gonna hold up, as it popped off 2xs and was squirting brake fluid everywhere before I realized the TO clip was broke. Thank Jah that Daystar tranny mount is off!

Back