• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing aluminum radiators

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
So last year I purchased a Champion radiator from Radiators4less on ebay.

During the winter months I could smell antifreeze and see some steam coming from under the hood. When it finally warmed up enough I pulled it down and found that it's leaking where the tubes meet the side tank.

I got a hold of the company I bought it from and they told me no problem, they would send me a new one out and I could just send the old one back in the box they shipped it in. Twenty minutes later I get another email saying they don't have any in stock and Champion is redesigning that radiator and they have no clue when they will get them back in stock. They offered me my full purchase price back, which I thought was pretty decent of them but I really want to keep this radiator. Other than the leak I feel it's pretty well made for the cost and to get into another aluminum radiator I would be almost double the money. I also really don't want to spend what it would cost to package it up.

I asked them if they could send it to Champion and have them fix it but I guess they don't have that ability but they did offer to pay any reasonable price if I could find a local radiator shop to fix it.

So, after that long winded spew... Does anyone know if it's common practice for a radiator shop to fix aluminum radiators?

i worked an a z06 with an aluminum radiator that sprug a leak due to the fact that the oil cooler line rubbed against it and messed it up. i just removed it and sent it to the machine shop to get it welded. you will not have any problems with it as long as they do a good job

Just talked to a local radiator shop who does in fact repair aluminum radiators. However when I told him where it's leaking he is skeptical about the chances of fixing it. I guess I'll pull it, take it to him and see if he can do anything with it. If not I'll send it back and get a refund.

I've got to say though. Radiators4Less have been very good dealing with this issue. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something else from them.

I knicked a tube on a aluminum csf on installation (stupid mech fan shroud). Took it to a local radiator specialty place, and they fixed it for $25

The shop I talked to said tubes are easy to fix. The joints where the tubes meet the tank are not as easy. Seems weird to me. You would think it would be easier to fix a spot where they are ready welded rather than right in the middle.

Oh well, I'll pull it out and see what they have to say.

Back