• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having trouble idling. Error code #22

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, as of yesterday I've had a problem where my XJ has a trouble idling. Keep in mind that the day before I installed a 600w amp and a sub for my xj, it might have something to do with my problem. Yesterday I drove to my sisters softball game and parked, I had no trouble starting it, or idling at a stop. After the game I got in the jeep and tried to start it. It had a little trouble starting, but got it started. On my way home I stopped at a stop sign, put it in neutral and the RPMs dropped below 1000 and it died. Then after repeated attempts, I started it with the clutch out and got it going. I drove home and stop and started a few times with no problems.

This moring it started fine but the RPMs fell below 1000 and was about to stall but I gave it some gas and kept it alive. On my way to school the check engine light came on. I just drove it 15 miles out to my grandparents house and the whole time the check engine light was not on. It started fine and idled fine.

I checked the engine codes and got a code #22 which is a engine coolant temperature sensor above or below acceptable voltage.

I can't quite pinpoint the problem. I've checked and made sure that the amp is for sure turing off when the jeep is off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Having any cranking issues? Low battery voltage will mess up idle, at least have the battery checked out at the parts store, they can do it on vehicle for free. Also check to make sure you didn't knock off a vacume hose on the intake or crusie control module, at least on my 98 its right next to my battery..

Having any cranking issues? Low battery voltage will mess up idle, at least have the battery checked out at the parts store, they can do it on vehicle for free. Also check to make sure you didn't knock off a vacume hose on the intake or crusie control module, at least on my 98 its right next to my battery..

I had craking issues twice in the same day. But since then (knock on wood) I havent had any.

Back