• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bracing tire carrier to hatch

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a tire carrier bumper a year or so ago. It works fine but has some flex in the carrier itself. This is now made a bit worse by the fact that there is now a 35 sitting on there. I'd like to find a way to stiffen it up some and am contemplating bracing it to the rear hatch. I'm not sure I even want to latch it, probably do more like the "snubbers" that are on the back of the Wranglers. I have an 88 so I understand that the hatch is fiberglass, but wonder if I couldn't add some bracing to strenthen it.
Any one ever done this or anything similar? Any other thoughts or input?

Pics of the tire carrier? I was contemplating adding a tie in/latch from my carrier to a roof rack/ gutter guards.I have not built a rack yet but still in my to do list.

Without seeing pictures I'm taking a guess, but, I personally wouldn't brace it against the hatch at all. Being fiberglass, if pressure is put against it in a place it wasn't designed for, you'll end up with fatigue cracks in the hatch more than likely. Even a really stout carrier is going to have enough vibration to eventually do this. Just my 2 cents.:eek:

mine is hinged to the bumper and quarter panel guard. doesnt move at all or make a peep of noise.

Pics of the tire carrier? I was contemplating adding a tie in/latch from my carrier to a roof rack/ gutter guards.I have not built a rack yet but still in my to do list.
Here ya go. I looked at it some more today and any and all ideas I had went right out the window. Original plan was to add some angle iron into the structure of the hatch and then a small plate on the outside of it to attach the "snubber" to, but forgot what the inside of the hatch actually looked like.
100_0386.jpg
100_0388.jpg
100_0389.jpg

Last edited:
I remember some of the old factory tire carriers had a brace to the rear hatch Like the Ford Bronco & Bronco 2 rear tire carriers. Seems like a good Idea.
I thought about doing the same to my carrier, it’s a nates 4X4 on a 01 with a steel hatch.

Have you snugged up the hinge bolt yet? The bearings could of loosened up some
I checked that yesterday and it was good and tight. I should have mentioned that. I also have a small piece of delron to stick under the latch end of the carrier that I mocked into place and it didn't get rid of the shake. I just haven't mounted it permanently yet.

I remember some of the old factory tire carriers had a brace to the rear hatch Like the Ford Bronco & Bronco 2 rear tire carriers. Seems like a good Idea.
I thought about doing the same to my carrier, it’s a nates 4X4 on a 01 with a steel hatch.
Good call on that. Guess i need to start finding some photos of that setup.

Why don't you just make some plates that tie into the hitch/gas tank skid bolts? That's how everybody else does it. Using fiberglass as structural support is a really bad idea, frame tie-ins are the way to go.

If its the hinge that's sloppy you can try packing it in heavy (copper/alum) grease or a nylon sleeve. If that doesn't help lots of companies sell replacement hinge setups that should make it nice and tight.

Seriously? Use a heavy grease? If the pivot is worn out, it requires repair. The best way is tapered roller bearings running on a spindle. The better built tire carriers are made this way.

wow, heavy grease... just wow...

With a glassfibre hatch, the OP coices are limited. Using it for structural purposes is not advised. Do a better pivot. The use of tapered roller bearings allows the adjustment to how much resistance is in the swing.

I assumed the hinge had tapered bearings, that's why I suggested to check the bolt.
boxing in the latch assembly should help also. Basically add alittle plate on top of the latch assembly.

Why don't you just make some plates that tie into the hitch/gas tank skid bolts? That's how everybody else does it. Using fiberglass as structural support is a really bad idea, frame tie-ins are the way to go.
The bumper mounts are 2x3" 3/16 tubing. It uses 4 holes in the gas tank skid and the 4 along the rear crossmember on each side.

If its the hinge that's sloppy you can try packing it in heavy (copper/alum) grease or a nylon sleeve. If that doesn't help lots of companies sell replacement hinge setups that should make it nice and tight.
The hinge and latch are both tight. All of the flex is coming from the carrier itself.

Seriously? Use a heavy grease? If the pivot is worn out, it requires repair. The best way is tapered roller bearings running on a spindle. The better built tire carriers are made this way.

wow, heavy grease... just wow...

With a glassfibre hatch, the OP coices are limited. Using it for structural purposes is not advised. Do a better pivot. The use of tapered roller bearings allows the adjustment to how much resistance is in the swing.
The hinge uses Tmiken bearings that are in very good condition, as I checked them yesterday.

i know a guy that mounted a 35 to the back of a fiberglass hatch... i thought it was stupid but he sandwiched two pieces of 3/8 in steel on either side of the hatch about the size of the license plate and mounted the tire to that. i followed him all the way down a 15 mile trail thinking the tire was gonna rip off but it never did..

I was going to steal his idea and use the mount for the latch on my bumper mounted tire carrier

i know a guy that mounted a 35 to the back of a fiberglass hatch... i thought it was stupid but he sandwiched two pieces of 3/8 in steel on either side of the hatch about the size of the license plate and mounted the tire to that. i followed him all the way down a 15 mile trail thinking the tire was gonna rip off but it never did..

I was going to steal his idea and use the mount for the latch on my bumper mounted tire carrier

yeah, but i bet you laughed when you asked him to open that hatch to get something and he had to bench press the tailgate.

So it's the round tubing that flexing then? It does look kinda small. Mine uses 2x2 square tube and it doesn't move at all even with a 36" IROK on it. Mine also mounts the tire on the pass. side closer to the hinge and the latch doesn't run all the way across to the driver's side. I don't really like how the carrier arm is kind of "floating" instead of being supported by the bumper either, I'm sure thats not helping. I'd say it time to beef up the top part of the carrier arm.

Last edited:
What's crazy is mines made with 2x3 1/8" square tube with a single upright and no braces and I don't have a whole lot of flex in my setup... I even cheaped out on bearings and design and it's holding up pretty well
6c622f3e.jpg

4f5c249b.jpg

So it's the round tubing that flexing then? It does look kinda small. Mine uses 2x2 square tube and it doesn't move at all even with a 36" IROK on it. Mine also mounts the tire on the pass. side closer to the hinge and the latch doesn't run all the way across to the driver's side. I don't really like how the carrier arm is kind of "floating" instead of being supported by the bumper either, I'm sure thats not helping. I'd say it time to beef up the top part of the carrier arm.
Yep, it all seems to be in the round tube. It's just not stiff enough. The thought of rebuilding it has crossed my mind.

I'm looking to do some bracing to my 97's steel hatch.
I run a detours tailbone, and it's great, but does bounce around a bit.
The plan is to add a couple bump stops to the vertical part of the tire carrier which will press against the hatch.
I'll probably reinforce the hatch with a bit of plate inside.

This item for JKs illustrates the concept:
http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=7841

It's not going to happen tomorrow, but when it does, I'll update here, since it seems relevant.

Back