• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 axle swap questions

Marcelo73

NAXJA Forum User
I want to swap my D35 with a Chrysler 8.25 and 4.10 ratio.
Do I need a new rear propeller shaft? I'm thinking to install also a 4.5" lift kit.
Any other consideration: SYE, or something like that? Can I buy a rear propeller that could be used in both axles?

The D30 has 3.07 ratio, besides new crown and pinion 4.10 is needed other parts?

for a 4.5" lift you will need to do either an SYE (slipyoke eliminator) and a CV driveshaft with a slip/spline built in, look here 4xshaft.com, or a transfercase Drop. you may have to get a new rear driveshaft with the transfercase drop, depending on the D35's u-joint size and the length needed with the lift.

you will also need extended brake lines.

the 4.10 gears will require a new carrier in the D30,

With no lift the drive shaft may be too long since the 8.25 pinion is longer than the D35. With a lift the additional drive shaft length will be fine. Ultimately you should get a SYE though.

What year is your heep? A 4cyl XJ will most likely have 4.10s, if not the rare 4.56 factory.

Thanks for the answers.
Johnnie Walker: It's a XJ 1998 4.0 manual. It has a D35 with 3.07 ratio.

Something like the Slip Yoke Eliminator and Driveshaft Kit from Iron Rock (refurbished) it's ok or think in long term and spend in Tom Wood's products? (almost twice the price).

refurbished = a cleaned up junkyard shaft. go ahead and ask em, SPECIFICALLY, what they replace... you'll be surprised. Tom woods is also a major player in the offroad 4x4 driveshaft scene. What exactly is iron rock?

Lifted, you'll be fine, you could allways get a driveshaft from the junkyard, from a vehicle w/ identical driveline, ie your motor/trans and a 8.25 rear end. There are charts around with oem driveshaft lengths, but i havent paid them attention, as i prefer a heavy duty driveshaft. The new aftermarket shafts have massive splines compared to the oem'ers.

refurbished = a cleaned up junkyard shaft. go ahead and ask em, SPECIFICALLY, what they replace... you'll be surprised. Tom woods is also a major player in the offroad 4x4 driveshaft scene. What exactly is iron rock?

Lifted, you'll be fine, you could allways get a driveshaft from the junkyard, from a vehicle w/ identical driveline, ie your motor/trans and a 8.25 rear end. There are charts around with oem driveshaft lengths, but i havent paid them attention, as i prefer a heavy duty driveshaft. The new aftermarket shafts have massive splines compared to the oem'ers.

this is another big reason to not run JY shafts. the oem 1"-1/4" slip/spline wears out rather easity, once it does the driveshaft can't be balanced and will probably have vibrations.

Iron Rock = www.ironrockoffroad.com. They offer refurbished and HD shafts.
I haven't access to a real junkjard (not living in USA). I rather have to import all the parts.

I have seen cv style shafts that slide right into the tcase. Not sure on how good they work in the long run but It may be a cheaper alternative to a sye. On the iron rock they have a hack and tap, from what I read in the past you should just not do that and get a real sye. Some people have had drive line vibes from them. eBay there is plenty of kits that include a cv shaft. Though if you did a sye you would want to measure the length so they can correct the shaft length. So hard to say on what they would do? ship it later?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CV-DRI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a66c1b00f&vxp=mtr

Curtis Tatton is a local drivline person here in Utah. I purchased the teraflex sye and cv shaft from him a few years ago I have loved the work he did. I just had him rebuild my shafts last week they are perfect. They went bad because of my poor pinion angles from lack of knowledge. I have had to replace plenty of parts because of my fail (4.8* pinion angle difference rear 6+* in the front)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-SYE-KI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf77cbee5&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
I have seen cv style shafts that slide right into the tcase. Not sure on how good they work in the long run but It may be a cheaper alternative to a sye. On the iron rock they have a hack and tap, from what I read in the past you should just not do that and get a real sye. Some people have had drive line vibes from them. eBay there is plenty of kits that include a cv shaft. Though if you did a sye you would want to measure the length so they can correct the shaft length. So hard to say on what they would do? ship it later?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CV-DRI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a66c1b00f&vxp=mtr

Curtis Tatton is a local drivline person here in Utah. I purchased the teraflex sye and cv shaft from him a few years ago I have loved the work he did. I just had him rebuild my shafts last week they are perfect. They went bad because of my poor pinion angles from lack of knowledge. I have had to replace plenty of parts because of my fail (4.8* pinion angle difference rear 6+* in the front)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-SYE-KI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf77cbee5&vxp=mtr

The only problem with 'ship later' for me is the time its take to finish it (since the time I buy something until I received can pass 6 or 8 weeks). Besides if something is wrong or I need any extra the install will be unfinished until I receive the missing part(s).

I guess I will install firt the lift kit, put the 8.25, take measures, install again the D35, buy the SYE with the proper shaft and wait to put the 32 or 33" tires until I can install the 8.25.

Just hope the RE 4.5" with 29" does not look too awkward :laugh3:

Can anyone build you a cv shaft where you are at? If you can get one built then just buy the sye and get the shaft made where you are.

Tatton says he knows the measurements for the shafts " " on his page down the bottom you can always call and ask.

Can anyone build you a cv shaft where you are at? If you can get one built then just buy the sye and get the shaft made where you are.

Tatton says he knows the measurements for the shafts " " on his page down the bottom you can always call and ask.

Good point, thanks. I hadn't that in mind because I'm buying all new. But now that you tell me that, I guess is the most logic thing to do. Actually lot of things are self-made here: "necessity is the mother of invention" :laugh:

Back