• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible legislation to move smog exemption to 1981 and older

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]California Introduces Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Emissions Inspection Requirement[/FONT]

In 2004, legislation was enacted to repeal California’s rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older and replace it with a law requiring the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. This year, a bill has been introduced in the California Senate (S.B. 1224) by Senator Doug LaMalfa ([email protected] ) to exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model year from the emissions inspection requirement. The bill will be considered in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on March 27, 2012.
[FONT=&quot]We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately To Request Their Support for S.B. 1224[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]S.B. 1224 recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1981vehicles on emissions and air quality.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]S.B. 1224 acknowledges that pre-1981 vehicles still constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]S.B. 1224 endorses the fact that pre-1981 vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]For years, legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters have felt the heat from failed efforts to meet air quality goals and have looked to older cars as a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. S.B. 1224 helps validate the truth. The old car hobby should not continue to carry the burden of past mistakes![/FONT]
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee immediately to request their support of S.B. 1224. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at [email protected]. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
[FONT=&quot]Senate Transportation and Housing Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

To e-mail all members of the Committee, copy and paste the email address block below:
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Senator Mark DeSaulnier (Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4007
Email: [email protected]
Senator Ted Gaines (Vice Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4001
Senator Tom Harman
Phone: (916) 651-4035
Senator Christine Kehoe
Phone: (916) 651-4039
Senator Alan Lowenthal
Phone: (916) 651-4027
Senator Fran Pavley
Phone: (916) 651-4023
Senator Michael Rubio
Phone: (916) 651-4016
Senator Joe Simitian
Phone: (916) 651-4011
[FONT=&quot]Senator Mark Wyland
Phone: (916) 651-4038

[/FONT]

contact the people on the list so pre 1981 cars dont have to be smogged. then you can buy that 1976 mustang II you've been dreaming of.

Or that Pre 81 CJ7. I had an 80 CJ7 that I transplanted an LT1 into and sold it when I moved to Cali because it wasn't a CARB legal swap. I'll be excited if this passes, but disappointed that I sold my CJ when I could have kept it. I adored that thing.

oh boy, price of 76-81 cars/trucks just got expensive.
good time to find that cheap little motorhome nobody will buy because of smog.

Hopefully this passes, that would open up a lot more vehicles for me. I have been searching for a decent 4x4 that was smog exempt but still had decent options.

Hopefully this passes, that would open up a lot more vehicles for me. I have been searching for a decent 4x4 that was smog exempt but still had decent options.
Yes! I have seen several full-size GM trucks 77-8x for sale that need "smog" Obviously, with a diesel that doesn't matter, but would be awesome cuz I want an F'n truck for little money!

It would open up 76-81 Blazers, which are essentially the same as the 73-75, except for the lack of a full convertible top post 78. For those of us looking for cheap crewcab 4x4 trucks for occasional use, it opens up more possibilities to avoid smog. It doesn't have to apply only to the unloved late 70's "muscle" cars. Hell, it could allow you to make a complete sleeper by getting some crappy 76 Mustang II and swapping a good engine into it...:D

1) Bring back the rolling exemption - 30-year or even 35-year.

2) Stop profiling "gross emitters" by class - go by records. Having the smog check cost more than the plate renewal is stupid. (And no, jacking up the renewal cost to exceed the cost of the wretched smog test is not RPT NOT an acceptable solution.)

3) Reward properly aggressive maintenance with a sliding discount, tied to the margin by which emissions targets are exceeded. (Maintenance costs money. Reward those who are aggressive about it by saving them money somewhere else.)

And, frankly, if you want to reduce "mobile emiitters" - how about the small two-stroke engines powering weedwhackers and leafblowers? The average two-stroke is belching oil into the air - hydrocarbons - which is why they've been banned in watercraft operating on public reservoirs.

And, if you've ever seen two "gardener" idiots blowing a leaf back and forth for no good reason, or just not putting a bag on the thing and setting it to "suck" instead of "blow" - you'd be irritated by it as well!

How do I clean my driveway? Water hose and broom (wife is asthmatic with a mild allergy to dust mites, and I often work on stuff that doesn't like dust out front. Water keeps it under control far better than a blower.

(And, if you're going to kvetch at me for 'wasting water' - back home, all of the storm drains ran to the water treatment plant. Why don't they do that out here?)

It means I wouldn't have to smog this any longer. Writing my letter.

388301_2878978983786_1539361089_32896316_1455529596_n.jpg

321636_2515108847260_1539361089_32734123_1812193271_n.jpg

(And, if you're going to kvetch at me for 'wasting water' - back home, all of the storm drains ran to the water treatment plant. Why don't they do that out here?)

Probably because to many goofballs dump toxic chemicals into the storm drains here.

It would open up 76-81 Blazers, which are essentially the same as the 73-75, except for the lack of a full convertible top post 78. For those of us looking for cheap crewcab 4x4 trucks for occasional use, it opens up more possibilities to avoid smog. It doesn't have to apply only to the unloved late 70's "muscle" cars. Hell, it could allow you to make a complete sleeper by getting some crappy 76 Mustang II and swapping a good engine into it...:D
and technically just because you dont have to smog it doesnt mean it's not illegal to pull off or alter smog equipment, they're still bound to the same rules as a newer car. So technically you're advocating breaking the law, and i award you one demerit.
See? how do you like it? :D

Back