• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway Bar End Link - Contact With Coil Spring?

bzauche

NAXJA Forum User
While I was working on the XJ this weekend, I noticed this:

DSC_3433.jpg

My sway bar end link actually comes in contact with the coil spring. What could be causing this, and how to I fix it?

Cause: Adding lift and not installing longer sway bar links.

Fix: Rubicon Express sway bar relocation brackets, or buy/make some longer or quick disconnect sway bar links.

Cause: Adding lift and not installing longer sway bar links.

Fix: Rubicon Express sway bar relocation brackets, or buy/make some longer or quick disconnect sway bar links.

Stupid previous owner didn't lift it right haha. Alright, thanks! So basically, I need to bump quick discos up to the top of my "to buy" list?

My girlfriend just ordered a Pro Comp sway Bar Link kit to remedy a similar problem on her Cherokee. It was $45.93 out the door.

My girlfriend just ordered a Pro Comp sway Bar Link kit to remedy a similar problem on her Cherokee. It was $45.93 out the door.

I'll keep that in mind. I have a friend who is selling some JKS Quicker Discos for $50 that he had on his TJ, but they're the same part number as the 2-3.5" lift ones for an XJ.

are you sure someone didnt re-install the sway bar mounts in the wrong holes? look were they are mounted. there are other holes that are right next to the correct one (closer to the spring) about the same width as the mounting bracket.

I'll keep that in mind. I have a friend who is selling some JKS Quicker Discos for $50 that he had on his TJ, but they're the same part number as the 2-3.5" lift ones for an XJ.

That's a steal if they're in decent condition! I'd go online and check out what comes with them to make sure you get all of the parts. If the bushings are worn out I think JKS sells a rebuild kit.

are you sure someone didnt re-install the sway bar mounts in the wrong holes? look were they are mounted. there are other holes that are right next to the correct one (closer to the spring) about the same width as the mounting bracket.

Heh? :huh:

on the frame rail were the sway bar is attached. look. there are other holes. i think they are for the factory front skid plate.

That's a steal if they're in decent condition! I'd go online and check out what comes with them to make sure you get all of the parts. If the bushings are worn out I think JKS sells a rebuild kit.

Yeah, I know! He's on a local forum of ours and he takes care of his rig, so I trust that they'll be in good shape.

on the frame rail were the sway bar is attached. look. there are other holes. i think they are for the factory front skid plate.

I'll have to look tomorrow!

I don't think it's possible to mount your sway bar in the wrong location, but I guess you can check. The sway bar links rubbing on the coil is very common when your sway bar links are either too short or too long. And yours are bent at the top like my girlfriend's are because they're too short.

you'll also want some front bumpstops in addition to the longer swaybar links -

how will bump stops help to keep the sway bar from contacting the coils?

they won't help the coils from hitting the sway bars, but they will help the tires from hitting the fenders. ALso looking at your picture looks like the sway bar has been hitting the coils for sometime, you can see marks on two of the coils from rubbing.

Back