• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heim is stuck after welding tube adapter

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I feel like a dumb dumb. I have welded in atleast 10 tube adapters and never had this problem. I welded in a tube adapter I had an old heim in it with a ton of aniseize and now it is stuck in it. What should I do?

try heating the tube up with a torch, have tube in vice, something in the heim... get it good n hot and try again.

Well it wasn't that bad. The one that's stuck is rh thread I orderd one that ill pick up at napa tomorrow, I also ordered a lh thread tap on ebay I'm gonna clean all my tube adapter threads

Now that you have the taps you can always just tap the tubing and not use the adapters. Its always nice to have tools. :)

Not going to help you much but I have a tube of "UnScrew-Up" that I am trying to market but as you could guess im on back order.. Its a new and improved version of my personally tested StopXXXXingup spray. It did prevent rust but not much else.

I will be building a track bar this weekend using Ruffstuff heims and tube adapters. Is there any way to make sure this doesn't happen? I will be using a mig wleder to do this if that matters.

No need to buy a tap just for this 1 insert....make your own.

Use an old heim or bolt with the same threads. Us a flapper to taper the end of the threads.

Use a thin cut-of disc (4.5" grinder or a Dremel) to make 4-5 groves up the threads.

Add some light oil and use your new homemade tap to chase the threads of your tube insert.

Done it many times and even cut new threads in my tailcone for the VSS i needed when I did my Vortec swap.

No need to buy a tap just for this 1 insert....make your own.

Use an old heim or bolt with the same threads. Us a flapper to taper the end of the threads.

Use a thin cut-of disc (4.5" grinder or a Dremel) to make 4-5 groves up the threads.

Add some light oil and use your new homemade tap to chase the threads of your tube insert.

Done it many times and even cut new threads in my tailcone for the VSS i needed when I did my Vortec swap.

Great Tip! I have done this before after watching the guys in the machine shop at work need a tap in a hurry but unable to get one. They just take a bolt same dia./TPI and make a tap out of it

I will be building a track bar this weekend using Ruffstuff heims and tube adapters. Is there any way to make sure this doesn't happen? I will be using a mig wleder to do this if that matters.

No need to tap or put anything in the tube adapter, just take it slow. Weld a quarter of the adapter at a time, allow the weld to cool down inbetween doing sections. Keeps the heat from building up and trashing inserts. Took me a few times around to learn this :gee:

No need to tap or put anything in the tube adapter, just take it slow. Weld a quarter of the adapter at a time, allow the weld to cool down inbetween doing sections. Keeps the heat from building up and trashing inserts. Took me a few times around to learn this :gee:
Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the tip.

At work we do something similar to this, we call them o-let's basically we Weld on a 1/2" fitting to a 3" pipe. we thread in the 1/2" tube into the o-let's for the weld so we don't get slag on the threads but as soon as we are done with the weld we remove the 1/2" tube and allow the O-let to cool off before we install the 1/2" tube, if we don't remove it it will Gauld the threads and make it impossible to remove.

Basically what I'm getting at is if you have to weld it with the heim in place, weld it out and remove the heim before it too has a chance to expand and seize up inside the fitting

Back