• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Curses! interior trim.

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Took my "new" door panels out to the Heep to make sure they were the right color... sure enough they appear NOT to be. Tag on back says "Saddle" per link below they apparently should be "Camel" they are close but not right...

http://www.carsdirect.com/1999/jeep/cherokee/colors

Can anyone recommend a SEM vinyl dye color that matches "Camel" so I can get this install finished? Need specifically the tan colored parts; the reason I am replacing them is because of a hack 'n' slice stereo install. Not really motivated to keep shopping, don't have time to go junkyard hopping, not aware of a retailer of SEM or comparable products in my area where I could test a couple different cans.

I figure I can save my old armrests by using sheet metal screws and washers to retain them to the new panels...

thanks for any help!

Update:

Since I didn't get any replies, I went ahead and ordered a set of SEM color chips (not expensive in the grand scheme of things - I got the color chips in the mail today and it appears that "camel" is somewhere in between SEM 15143 "sandstone" (which is a hair light) and SEM 15753 "light oak" (a little dark.) "saddle" looks pretty close to SEM 15323 "palomino."

I am still going back and forth on which dye to order to match my '99 Camel interior. The Light Oak is probably a closer match overall but I am thinking I should probably go with the Sandstone because it *is* a little light and I'm using panels that are darker (the earlier "saddle" color) than what I'm trying to end up with that way if I put a light coat on it should probably come out close to correct. This is probably only of interest to people of an anal-retentive nature such as YT as obviously with a 13 year old vehicle, the door panels don't exactly match the kick panels don't exactly match the vinyl on the sides of the seats etc. etc. etc.

I'll update this thread with success/failure when I actually get the stuff and start spraying some parts.

Just in case you were wondering why I'm even bothering, the interior in my Heep is in mostly good shape but the PO (actually her ex) cut the speaker area out of the front door panels to mount some aftermarket speakers in an, um, creative manner. So I found some similar tan panels on fleaBay and have already mounted some Polk 6.5s - DXi650s to be exact - in a more correct manner. They fit, I have the driver's side panel installed now although I know I will have to remove it again to clean/dye it. Just wanted to make sure everything fit before committing to a course of action. Simply required drilling four holes to mount them and wiring them up. If you're using Polk speakers the DXi650s - "s" for shallow mount - will work, but the DXi650 without the "s" will definitely not, at least not without cutting a hole in the door panel for the tweeter part to protude, and at that point you might as well go with a 6.5" component system and mount the tweets in a better location like in the kick panels or A-pillars or something. I also have a sound bar from a '97 that I'm going to install (it's mocked up right now with the wiring and speakers installed, I just need to mount the cargo area dome light bracket) I was originally going to wrap it in some marine vinyl and still may but then again I may just spray it with vinyl dye and call it a day. It came from a vehicle with a grey headliner and one of the first things I did when I got it was rip that off, throw it in the trash, and scuff the thing down with scotchbrite to get rid of the crumbling foam; turns out the backer has a nice texture to it so vinyl dye is definitely an option and looking like the best one at the moment. I'm definitely NOT a big fan of headliner cloth; all it does is get dirty and fall down, this is a Jeep after all. Something that won't do either of those things and is about the right color is a definite improvement in my book!

I know I'm rambling now but would like to get this down for the benefit of others who might be searching in the future... The Polk 6.5s fit in the sound bar as well, Crutchfield says they won't but they do with literally almost no more work than is required for the front doors - I had to take a utility knife and gently shave the opening, but no more than 3/16" or so and not all the way around, just where the cutout wasn't quite aligned with the molded "ridge" that defines the speaker area, and then again drill holes for the speakers to mount and this time I used the speed clips because the material is some kind of pressboard type thing that won't grab a screw reliably. It doesn't feel like the speakers will tighten down to the sound bar well when you test fit them but they seem to do OK with the gasket installed. Bass response seems weak on the sound bar speakers compared to the fronts though, not sure if it is because it's not securely held against the headliner (because I haven't installed the bracket, it's just clipped in the trim right now for mockup purposes) or if there's another issue that needs to be addressed, maybe the gasket isn't enough of a spacer and I need to make/buy a thin spacer that's slightly smaller in diameter than the speakers to make everything seal up tightly. We'll see after I get it mounted for real. I used the grilles from the Polk speakers as it looked like the stock ones wouldn't work, and the Polk ones don't scream "look at my rad speakerzzzzz yo!" however if you were to use the Sony speakers I took out of the front doors I bet the stock grilles would have worked with those speakers (although, to be honest, I don't like that you'd have to take the sound bar down to play with the speakers in that case.)

Finally, after lots of searching and thinking, I think I will probably end up with the following to replace the cubby on the pass. side -

Polk MM840 sub
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107MM840/Polk-Audio-MM840.html

Subthump enclosure
http://subthump.com/Jeep-Sub-Boxes/Cherokee/84-01-Jeep-Cherokee-Cargo-Stealth-Enclosure.html

Amp is a little up in the air, but when I asked Crutchfield they suggested this one:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065GTA602/Boston-Acoustics-GTA-602.html

However, Sonic Electronix has the 802 version for about the same price so it seems it would make sense to go with that. Assuming, of course, that it will fit under the back seat or one of the front seats which are really the only available spaces for same.

I'd explain in detail my reasoning behind choosing those products when I know there's others and possibly better available, but there's some serious thread drift going on (and it's all me!) so I'll start another thread for comment on that setup.

Last edited:
Dammit. Got my vinyl dye in the mail today, the color that comes out of the can is NOWHERE CLOSE to the color on the color chip set.

Really need to find a local retailer for this stuff.

I've used this product with some pretty good results. Like any other paint project the key is in the prep work to get the desired results. If you take those factory paint reference ID's to NAPA, Autozone, etc. then I am sure they can match it perfectly...or come very, very, close.

Vinyl & Fabric Coating

Restore or customize your interior vinyl seats, dash boards, door panels, shifter boots and consoles with Dupli-Color® Vinyl & Fabric Coating. Formulated with a maximum adhesion promoter so there's no need for primer, Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Coating won't crack, peel or chip.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

Hope this helps you out.

yeah, I just need to find someplace that *stocks* the stuff so I can walk in with an old panel and match it. I thought I was being smart by ordering the SEM color chips (I've used SEM products with good luck in the past) but that apparently is not helpful, unless I'm going to dye the *whole* interior, as the "Sandstone" color is much lighter as sprayed than it is on the color chip page. Guess I need to fire up the googs and see if there's a paint and body supply place anywhere in a reasonable radius...

The SEM that I used for my Dad's old Chevy build dryed darker after we painted. It was noticable. Try a scrap piece and see if that is the case.
:dunno:

I just ordered my box for the cubby too. Can't wait to get it set up. Using my old amp from my Ranger, a Sound Ordianance piece
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M1350/Sound-Ordnance-M-1350.html
Sub I can't decide if I will match my Kicker Comp speakers with a Kicker Comp 8", or a JBL GTO804.
I have an old style Kicker grille (the one with the "points"), painted to match the interior.
Should be a sweet, not overwhelming set up. party1:

000_1554.jpg

I just did this with some 3/4" MDF scraps. The only money in it is the 10" Sony sub. The 'grille cloth' is the thin, lightweight carpet from the back of a '95 ZJ rear seat from the junkyard. I cut the MDF scraps to fit into the space between the outer quarter panel and the interior bracing, using a Liquid Nails type of adhesive, and caulking it with silicone caulk to make sure it's air-tight. I lined it with Dynamat scraps my son had left over, and filled the compartment with egg-crate foam. I'd had a boom box with two twelves in it, and didn't expect much from this set-up, but WOW, it hits just as hard, and I got my way-back space back. I'm powering it with a Blaupunkt 500W RMS mono amp.

As far as the interior colors, there were indeed two tans. The picture is my '96 Country, with the lighter tan, and it has '95 ZJ leather seats, which match perfectly. But, from '97 on, the cloth seat interiors were a darker tan, and the leather seat XJs had the lighter tan, compatible with the earlier years. As far as painting/dyeing the door panels, it would be better to get the right ones. I know you said you don't have the time to keep 'shopping' at the yards, but the dyed surface will be a maintenance chore, getting scuffed when you get in and out.

I am taking tan door panels out of my 99. I think they are camel. Don't know what shipping would be from ocean city, md, but if you are interested i can find out

Back