• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement shaft help

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Having a hell of a time finding a front shaft for my xj, I'm assuming my application I'm providing is wrong. Its an 89 xj 4.0 auto but I swapped out the 242 for the 231. the shafts I,m getting are almost 2 inches too short. What should I be looking for?

current shaft 31.5 collapsed
34.5 extended

wicked man! thanks for the catalogue pdf. and it seems my options are expanded! Any idea what ideal travel is for a slip yoke?How much useable travel do you need for a lifted rig? My axle is 1.75 inches forward from stock, so the stock shaft was borderline too short anyways. looks llike a 94 grand cherokee v-8 5spd shaft is an option at 32.75" compressed. I'll have to get the warehouse to measure extended and compressed before I bite the bullet.

Last edited:
some reading looks like 1" shaft showing at static ride height, ad 2-1/2" of spline engagement at installed extended

Back