• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's is bad?

Pz10420

NAXJA Forum User
Is this a sign of a bad axle seal, wheel bearing, brake cylinder or something else? Thanks
4c19034c-e49a-7b2e.jpg

Is it wet around the wheel cyl? If its bone dry, I would say axle seal. I am lazy though, so I would do both, unless you are converting to rear discs later

Didnt seem to be wet around the wheel cynlinder. But not sure how long this axle has been sitting because it was a junk yard find.

If its coming from the JY and you have the time i'd just go ahead and do the wheel bearings and the axles seals... Eliminate future problems before they happen

x2 axle is already out just do the bearing and the seal at the same time. do both sides and forget about it for the next 100k miles.

Is this a sign of a bad axle seal, wheel bearing, brake cylinder or something else? Thanks
4c19034c-e49a-7b2e.jpg

D.) All of the above

So far the cyliders look OK. But if it's a junkyard axle and you don't know where it's been, I'd make sure the gears were in good shape, then go from end to end and replace everything. Like said above wheel cylinders are cheap.

I used to sell bearings, and I was actually fascinated with how they all worked. We carried EVERY kind of bearing, bushing, pillow block, needle bearing...for applications from computer fans to cruise ships to airliners. Imagine my disappointment when I found out I could not just replace/pack/service the front bearings on my XJ...the rear end, another story. I'd replace it all if it were me. Bearings, races, seals etal., fill it up and hopefully never worry about it again.

Back