• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear locker

Jonesy51

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I have an 01 xj with the 8.25 rear end and 4:56's. Can any body recomend a good locker, detroit, ox, eaton.... What good or bad experiances do you have with your lockers. Thanks

I love the Detroit in my rear D44. Can't tell its there with most everyday driving. Offroad it rocks.

Edit: I have an auto tranny. Manual may be worse with everyday driving.

I have a Detroit in the back of my Heep. Works well and, for me, is invisible on the street...

I have ran the Powertrax No-Slip in the past (2001) in an 8.25 and it worked but, tended to be a tad noisy in tight turns on pavement. Either it does not unlock and the inside tire barks or, you hear it ratcheting. The ratcheting is normal but it does annoy some folks.

My powertrax no-slip in my c8.25 is invisible on the street. It clunked and banged a couple times the first couple months after installation (which was nine months ago), but since then its been silent. It has been no issue at all driving in winter conditions, granted I use full time 4wd in slick conditions which enables the front end to pull the rear out of a wag..

I have not yet had it in a slick, off camber condition. I suppose that would be the least desirable place to have an auto locker in back.

Last edited:
another vote for detroit/grizzly locker for simplicity/durability/reliability. that is if an auto locker is in your tastes. if you feel you want a selectable locker, do some research to figure out whether or not the ARB, E locker, or OX locker will work best for you, as they all have their pros/cons

I have an Aussie locker in mine, and have been really pleased with it. It has gotten to the point that I almost don't realize it is there. Two huge thumbs up on increased off road capabilities as well!

Hi guys, I have an 01 xj with the 8.25 rear end and 4:56's. Can any body recomend a good locker, detroit, ox, eaton.... What good or bad experiances do you have with your lockers. Thanks

The only options you have are Detroit or ARB for full case lockers. Also remember you'll have to reset the gear lash to install one. I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't afford a full case locker at the time I had my gears done so I'm going to get a lunch box at some point. I have read some really good things about the Aussie but there almost as much as a Detroit when or if you can get one. I also seen on Randy's site they have a part number for a Spartan but don't stock them as of the last time I checked.

Back