• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock engine wiring harness routing for '99 4.0

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone got good pics? I'm pissed at my roommate, he offered to "help" me yesterday while I was working on the thing (mostly changing undercar fluids like axles, TC, and attempting to get the trans pan off and failing miserably) and one of the jobs I had to do was replace the battery cables. So I told him to cut all the corrugated loom off the harness, and pull out the old battery cables *MAKING SURE TO REMEMBER HOW EVERYTHING WAS RUN* well guess what, he started asking questions putting it back together and I said "I don't know, just put it back just like it was" and of course he says "well, I don't really remember how it was..." *facepalm* :flamemad:

Sooo... if anyone has some good pics of the battery/PDC/alternator/starter/distributor wiring from an unmolested '99 or thereabouts I'd be forever in your debt... it's functional now but I really don't think the wiring is run in the factory location, and he didn't even shove the alternator wire back in the loom which really pisses me off...

Sorry, no pics.

Pretty easy actually.

Battery...

Positive (red) cables:

One long red cable from the battery goes to the starter solenoid, and one short red cable goes to the main input terminal on the PDC.

Negative (black) cables:

One long black cable from the battery goes to the ground terminal just below the ignition coil, and one short black cable goes to the ground point (bolt) on the right fender just forward of the cruise control servo.

Alternator...

The green (fuseable link) cable from the alternator is attached to the same main input terminal on the PDC as the red battery cable. Note that the green cable is spliced into a black/white tracer cable that is attached to the altrnator.

Hope this helps.

It does help, but I'm more looking for a pic of *where* the wires run, not where they start and end. I've got everything functional again, but the wiring has that "this can't possibly be right" look with the harness resting up against A/C hoses etc...

DSCF2313.jpg

DSCF2315.jpg

has anyone told you that you're the man today? Well, you're the man. Yup, my friend horked it all up but now I see mostly how to fix it. Can you tell me how the b+ and the brown start wire run down to the starter? Looks like in your pics they run between the block and all the hoses but I can't see for 100% sure. I know on mine there was a clip screwed to the side of the block right in front of the oil filter, not sure how it went through that though. Kinda had to adapt, improvise, and overcome :/ That still looks like a mess of spaghetti, but trust me, mine's worse...

thanks again, and whatever you do don't run out of beer.

has anyone told you that you're the man today? Well, you're the man. Yup, my friend horked it all up but now I see mostly how to fix it. Can you tell me how the b+ and the brown start wire run down to the starter? Looks like in your pics they run between the block and all the hoses but I can't see for 100% sure. I know on mine there was a clip screwed to the side of the block right in front of the oil filter, not sure how it went through that though. Kinda had to adapt, improvise, and overcome :/ That still looks like a mess of spaghetti, but trust me, mine's worse...

thanks again, and whatever you do don't run out of beer.

Yep, the harness goes over the engine mount, under the distributor, then dips down in front of the oil filter adaptor, then through the clip you mention, then to the starter.

thanks again - now I have some direction to "make it right." Probably ought to buy some more split loom while I'm at it... might as well make it look purty.

Gots to have loom to protect those wires from chafing....and purty.

If you live near Richmond I'll look you up the next time I visit my Son...that lives there. I lived in Richmond for a year back in '71/'72. I really liked VA. Now I live in the Michigan tundra.

Back