• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SRS air bag connector repair. Non Jeep

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an air bag from a dismantler online and noticed the connector was jacked up. Dumba** uninstaller. Is it possible to fix this? They dont have another one and they practically gave it to me for free since they messed it up. I have a donor connector from the old bag...

49ce8045.jpg

So that yellow connector does come apart somehow????

It should unplug, I can't tell by the looks of it how, but all the air bags I have ever taken apart to repair this that or the other unplugged. When you go to plug everything back in make sure your battery has been disconnected for a half hour. I never had one blow on me, but its possible.

It should unplug, I can't tell by the looks of it how, but all the air bags I have ever taken apart to repair this that or the other unplugged. When you go to plug everything back in make sure your battery has been disconnected for a half hour. I never had one blow on me, but its possible.

ok ya I've studied it for llike 30 mins trying to find a way to pop it off lol. Perhaps a dealer would do it? Or maybe not due to a liability issue. And yes, the battery will definitely be disconnected lol.
What is this off of exactly? yr mk mdl bag location?
2011 Honda civic LX coupe. Passenger dash.

54c0acce.jpg

best pic I got that shows the dash. I would ask guys on the honda forums but they are all little girls! You would not believe it! everything that goes wrong on someones vehicle they say, "go take it to a honda dealer". In the 4 years I've been on this forum I have never heard, "Go take it to a Jeep dealer". It's a totally different crowd man and I cant stand it lol. They are afraid to get their hands dirty. Granted the cars are 2006-2011 so they are probably still paying them off! haha.

Well after looking online I can't find anything. And I don't have accesse ti any honda technical data. Only gm mopar and ford, factory scan tools and factory serive repair sites.

No worries man. I was I having the same problem lookin online. Thanks for your efforts

that isnt going to unplug i dont think. the plug is on the other end of that wire in the yellow conduit tube (assuming the wire is still in there).
Honda wouldnt do redundant plugs like that. the broken yellow piece is just their means of passing wires through the sealed unit, it's likely designed to be permenant. the only "fix" is likely a sketchy solder job. i'd only use it temporarily until you find a new bag.

Darn alright new bag it is

im not familar with these airbags, just speaking from experience with hondas and airbags in general. so take that for what it's worth. have you tried honda-tech.com?
They're usually a little less douchey, as far as honda owners go. but with a car that new, you may not have a lot of people who know the answer.

Then blow it up pretty amazing the power they have!
yea, pretty insane. they went off in my mustang when i hit a chunk of something in the road on the highway that i coudnt avoid. shocked the living hell out of me. whatever i hit dinged the k member just right apparently. not a scratch on the car. the horn wouldnt stop blowing and smoke was pouring out of the dash, i thought the car was on fire. good thing the top was down....
if i didnt have my seat all the way back i probably would have broken my nose or something.

Well guys I decided to save the $200 and try to repair this connector. I broke the top of with a flat head to gain access to the metal terminals and did the same on the blown bag. I then snapped the metal terminal off the old one and soldered it to the exposed terminals on the new one. After creating a strong soldered bond I then used three coats of liquid electrical tape on top.

e0ab434f.jpg

b5fbae6c.jpg

I then hooked up the airbag and hoped the bag didn't blow when I connected the battery lol. Hooked up the battery and turn key to on position. Success! No more srs code thrown for a deployed bag. $200 back in my pocket! Woot woot

Disclaimer: I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS "REPAIR" TO ANYONE! SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH MAY RESULT!

Last edited:
Well guys I decided to save the $200 and try to repair this connector. I broke the top of with a flat head to gain access to the metal terminals and did the same on the blown bag. I then snapped the metal terminal off the old one and soldered it to the exposed terminals on the new one. After creating a strong soldered bond I then used three coats of liquid electrical tape on top.

e0ab434f.jpg

b5fbae6c.jpg

I then hooked up the airbag and hoped the bag didn't blow when I connected the battery lol. Hooked up the battery and turn key to on position. Success! No more srs code thrown for a deployed bag. $200 back in my pocket! Woot woot

Disclaimer: I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS "REPAIR" TO ANYONE! SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH MAY RESULT!

:shocked::twak:

I don't blame you. A connection is a connection. The plug merely allows easy replacement. As long as your solder joint is good.....go for it. People will always have their opinion.

They recommend against plugging motorcycle tires but I have put many miles on plugged sport bike tires (even took over 150mph) and I only died twice. hahaha

Haha I also have plugged my sport bike tires. We're daredevils I guess ha

Back