• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to rent a tool

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
Any body have a push connect flaring tool I could rent? The stock fuel lines on the MJ are too long and I need to cut them down to size then re-flared on the end for the push connect fittings. This is what I am looking for.

MAS-71475.jpg

I know I could modify my hose ends and go custom with stainless and AN fittings. That does not fit the "stock" build I am trying to accomplish.

Bo

why not just cut and shorten the fuel line somewhere in the middle where it will be hidden and just use regular flares and a barrel connector? that would leave the stock fittings still intact.

why not just cut and shorten the fuel line somewhere in the middle where it will be hidden and just use regular flares and a barrel connector? that would leave the stock fittings still intact.

A compression fitting is not a good idea on a fuel line. I am giving this truck to my son when he turns 16 in a couple years. The last thing I want to do is give him a truck that has a cobbled together fuel system. I have been restoring this truck for over a year and have a year or so more to go before it is done.

How much time do you have?
I can buy one and lend it to you.
I might not be a tool, but I play one on the internet!

If you want to buy one Rick, would gladly come down to your place to use it, LOL!

A compression fitting is not a good idea on a fuel line. I am giving this truck to my son when he turns 16 in a couple years. The last thing I want to do is give him a truck that has a cobbled together fuel system. I have been restoring this truck for over a year and have a year or so more to go before it is done.

If you want to buy one Rick, would gladly come down to your place to use it, LOL!

Let me look into a kit. I'll let you know.

yes i would agree that a compression fitting wouldn't be a good idea. what i meant was to re-flare the two ends and use a fitting to connect the two. just like what is on your brake lines. in my opinion compression fitting only belong on plastic lines.

Let me look into a kit. I'll let you know.

No worries Rick.

yes i would agree that a compression fitting wouldn't be a good idea. what i meant was to re-flare the two ends and use a fitting to connect the two. just like what is on your brake lines. in my opinion compression fitting only belong on plastic lines.

I would sooner buy a $250 tool and do it right the first time than cobble some crap up and never be happy with it.

i hear you. and the way i suggested is exactly the way most fuel line used to be before the quick disconnects came along. i would not want to see you "cobble" some crap either. but if you wanted to install an inline fuel filter, you would need to do it the way i said. just saying man. the quick release stuff is cool and all, but the only reason it came out was because it was cheaper to do on millions of vehicles, and saves time. but if you want to rely on an O-ring to seal your fuel line, thats fine. i am sure your son will enjoy fixing the transmission lines when they start leaking as well because of those ridiculous quick release fittings.

i hear you. and the way i suggested is exactly the way most fuel line used to be before the quick disconnects came along. i would not want to see you "cobble" some crap either. but if you wanted to install an inline fuel filter, you would need to do it the way i said. just saying man. the quick release stuff is cool and all, but the only reason it came out was because it was cheaper to do on millions of vehicles, and saves time. but if you want to rely on an O-ring to seal your fuel line, thats fine. i am sure your son will enjoy fixing the transmission lines when they start leaking as well because of those ridiculous quick release fittings.
what he said. compression or flare fittings can handle much more psi than those quick fittings. if they were all that great, they'd use them on brakes as well.
but i get it, it's nice to have it looking kosher under the hood, especially when you put that much work into something.

I have the stock MJ filter on the frame rail that is held on the lines with hose clamps from the factory. The lines that need shortened are the from the LCA area up to the flex lines on the fuel rail. I am not running a 4.0L in my truck. I have spent over a year getting a Magnum V8 out of a ZJ to fit and look factory in my truck. I had to splice 4 different harnesses together just to get it to run, talk to the gauges, and have all the lights work properly. The transmission lines will use the factory push connect fittings in the trans and will terminate into a external trans cooler in front of my aluminum radiator.

I am not building a trail rig. I am building a, gasp, a show truck. I have owned and restored this truck twice now. I made the mistake of selling it and it get beat up pretty bad.

Before

mj1.jpg

After

100_3802.jpg

100_3814.jpg

100_3803.jpg

100_3811.jpg

100_3805.jpg

100_3813.jpg

100_3808.jpg

Last edited:
Please tell me you're fixing the dash...

I would sooner buy a $250 tool and do it right the first time than cobble some crap...

Are you sure Jeep ownership is right for you Bo?

Back