• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know of a shop in O.C......

......That will bench test my injectors for me?

Spent the weekend chasing a high idle issue and I'm thinking it's one of my less than a year old injectors.....

Russ has an Injector guy that can test them but he is in the Clairmont area.

nobody has an injector you can swap in to see if that's the problem? I would think that would be easier/cheaper. I got a few but i'm in north county SD.

Python / Venom is in stanton I think. they do great injector work.

Not to derail this, but a high idle issue from a leaking injector? You sure you don't have a vacuum leak?

It's possible, but I cant find it.... Sprayed carb cleaner all over while its running and got no hits. I guess I could take it down for a smoke check.

I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and tho it's in spec, just barely...

49 psi at key on.
Needle bounces rapidly between 40-50 psi at idle.
36 psi 5 minutes after shutdown
28 psi 10 minutes after
22 psi 15 minutes after
12 psi 30 minutes after

At start up hot or cold the engine races to 2500 rpm then settles back down to 1000/1100 rpm and idles rough (+/- 100 rpm).

Tune up 3 years ago (cap & rotor, plugs, wires).
New fuel filter/regulator last March.
Re-manufactured 4 hole Bosch injectors last march.

Last weekend I:

Cleaned the throttle body

Replaced the IAC with new (only because it was the only thing I couldn't check to confirm as good).

TPS checks OK.

MAP sensor checks OK.

MAT checks OK.

Pulled the battery cable to reset the ECM.

Filled up and added a bottle of Techroline.

No change............

In fact, yesterday I went through 1/4 tank of gas going to work and back home..... 26 miles total.......

I still need to pull the plugs and check them. I'll check the cap and rotor while I'm at it.

I may have a vacuum leak at one of the injector o-rings. Either way the injectors need to come out if I can't find the problem elsewhere.

Oh yeah, it's a 98 auto 4X4 with 111000 miles.....

Last edited:
Did you pull the plugs to see if one of them looks different?

Tonight... Spent last night diagnosing and replacing an O2 sensor on my niece's 4runner....

Yea your not checking fo the hose your checking for a pin hole in the booster.

HAH! Guess I should slow down and read the whole sentence...... I'll check it tonight Ted, thanks....

BigSteve, I owe you and Ted a beer!!!

Pulled the brake booster hose and plugged it like Ted suggested, found nothing. But that got me thinking.... So I revisited the carb cleaner....

Found a vacuum leak at the injectors... I pulled them and found that every one of my 10 month old injector's O-rings were hard as a rock....

A trip to NAPA to buy new O-rings, a little surgery, and she runs like a top!!! Problem solved!

jeeperjohn.... I planned on replacing the plugs anyway, but yeah... Ummmmm.....

I pulled the plugs and they were all dry. They were tan/ruddy brown... Nothing out of the ordinary.

Until I checked the gap..... .045"-.048"....:wow:

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!!

As a side note, I did a compression test while I was in there... 182-190 psi... So looks like the motor should go another year or two...party1:

Back