• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi Lift roof rack mount ideas?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I've got a Defender roof rack and the Hi Lift jack mounts that Defender sold as an accessory. The problem is that, for some bizarre reason, Defender designed the mounts so that the jack rides up above the top of the rack and I can't use 'em because it makes my rig too tall for the parking garage where I live. I'm really getting tired of the jack being in my way in the interior cargo area, so I'd like to find a way to mount it to the side of the roof rack. Here's the catch - I'm pretty limited in terms of tools and fabrication ability. I've got no welder and no bender of any kind. I do have saws that will cut through steel stock, a drill press, and various taps and dies. If anyone has designed a simple mounting system that will work with these limitations, I'd love to see a picture or two. Thanks, and Happy New Year.

I've got a way but cant get pics till the morning/Basically I put bolts threw the holes in the rack and threw the holes on the jack and bolted them together

Don't put a highlift or anything heavy up high. Keep the weight as low as possible.

Not that im arguing with you but do you really think a hi lift will make that much diffrence?

Everything adds up.

I wouldn't (and don't) even carry the hi-lift. A bottle-jack will be far safer, lighter, and does the job most the time. I think I have needed a hi-lift once in many years of wheeling and it was because my knuckle blew off. Plus if there is an extreme case where you actually need one, odds are there is someone in the group who will have one.

I thought I'd try this again. Got frustrated as hell today when I tried to load some patio furniture in the back and the jack was in the way. A picture, diagram or description of some simple way to mount the jack to the side of a defender roof rack would be much appreciated. I have no welder and no metal bender of any kind, so I have to keep it simple. And there are no holes in the side of the rack and nothing solid enough to drill through that would take the weight of a hi-lift jack.

Come down to Gardena where my garage is (91/110 interchange) and we'll figure something out for the cost of a 12 pack of beer :D

Post up some pics of the rack and mounts so we know what you have to work with.

Back