• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound deadening adhesive question

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting tired of listening to a very loud rig in my 130 mile a day commute. I have several packing blankets similar to the ones U-Haul uses that I want to use inside the panels. I also have a large roll of metalized fabric used for insulation, kind of like tinfoil over fabric.

My plan is to take two layers of the blankets and sandwich the film in between, then glue it to the skins of the doors and fenders, as well as the firewall and floor. What is the adhesive that upholsterers use? I see them use what appears like a cheap paint gun to apply it. Anybody have first hand info on what they use and how it will hold up in the -30 to +150 temps in a vehicle?

Tom, that sounds like a good plan and should
quieten the vehicle considerably. AFAIK, the
standard adhesive for interior trim is contact
cement; the type that's applied to both surfaces
and then the pieces are pressed together.

3M makes a good one in a spray can. I've used it
on headliners and trim pieces with good results.

Be careful what you apply to the inside of the doors.
They aren't waterproof and if the material soaks up
moisture it might rust the doors. A product like
Lizard Skin, or a spray-on undercoating is good
for sound-deadening doors....

With enough sound absorbing material, the XJ
should be as quiet as a Caddy or Lincoln...:D

+1 on the 3M stuff. They make varying grades of adhesive strength and applications. I think you can check it out on their website to see which one works for you. If that doesn't work, I've used phat mat and that stuff works great. already sticky, too.

I have used Dupont 77 spray adhesive for years but I have found that it degrades over time.

As far as quite as a caddy.....I commute 130 miles a day with a 4.7L stroker with headers at 85mph on 35's on a grooved highway. Ain't no way.

I wouldn't recommend the packing blankets in the doors as they will get wet and trap the water and start to mold/smell quick just like the carpet padding does. There's of course dynamat if you've got the money and want to pull the carpet and headliner. Otherwise there's another company raam audio that has somewhat of an equivalent of the dynamat but not as expensive http://www.raamaudio.com/ From what I've read around the web people seem to get the best results with the floor, roof, and outer door skins.

.......As far as quite as a caddy.....I commute 130 miles a day with a 4.7L stroker with headers at 85mph on 35's on a grooved highway. Ain't no way.
Yikes, I see why you need it quieter!

If it's mostly road noise, that comes in through the
wheel wells and transfers to the cabin. You might try
some of that spray-on sound deadener and cover the
inner fenderwells with it. I'd use it inside the doors too,
because of the moisture issue.

Then add the padding to the firewall and floorboard and
call it done. The XJ soft fiber headliner probably cancels
noise as good as anything else would...

Back