• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Dyno results

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
Threw my jeep on the dyno at school, thought you guys might be interested.

Its on 35s with 4:56s. Have magnaflow high flow cat, flomaster 40, DIY throttle body boring and a THROTLE BODY SPACER!!

IMG_20111214_181248.jpg

Interesting,.. this for a '98, right? Standard or auto? The factory rating is 195 or so,.. if that's an auto, that's pretty good.

Yeah, not bad at all.

hm, interesting... kinda disappointing tho, no? 158 hp @ ~4,400... tho i'll admit i have novice understanding of dyno data

what's that translate to at crawl speeds/lower rpm's?.. i'm wanting similar exhaust set up as u, but wonder how much different it would be with 99+ intake, upgraded injectors, performance cam, rockers, valve springs, & 33's

You must have still been in 2nd gear on that dyno run. I turn 2400 rpms at 75mph with 35's and 4.56's on my 4.7L stroker.

If it knows the MPH, then it knows the tire size.

Between knowing that and the RPM, I'd say the compensation is there...

edit: also, HP is independent of gear reduction.

Most dyno operators (leastways here...) want the vehicle in the 1:1 gear (whatever gear that may be) so that direct comparisons can be made. 4th for the manual and 3rd for the auto... Just makes it easier to compare apples to apples.

I'll let you know how mine goes when I get it done.

hm, interesting... kinda disappointing tho, no?

No, its not. Its horse at the tires, which has driveline loss. Larger tires being the biggest culprit. The stock 190 hp is taken at the crank. If anything I would say its a bit on the high side.

It doesn't.

Your engine isn't developing crap for power/torque when you're just creepin around at part throttle.

i see, thanks for clarifying... i kno having a ton of power/torque when crammed & twisted into rocks, or when bumping to bounce over obstacles, is a recipe for destroying drive/axle shafts, ring gears, pinions, u joints... but i still desire that extra low end potential

guess i'll start saving for a supercharger, or low spooling turbo... probably for a pavement queen... how much truth is there in going this route should help gain some mileage? (apologies if i'm hi-jackin)

No, its not. Its horse at the tires, which has driveline loss. Larger tires being the biggest culprit. The stock 190 hp is taken at the crank. If anything I would say its a bit on the high side.

agreed... tho 33" A/T's on aluminum alloys shouldnt be too bad... i had understood the aw4 devours major HP

& talyn, nice to see ur projects in ur sig now... that is some stuff to show off:thumbup:

Last edited:
I thought I had read once that the I6 produces a high percentage of it's maximum torque at idle?

Yup, I break shafts all the time sitting at red lights. Too much torque....

You read wrong btw.

I'd say that's pretty good for an auto on 35's. I thought our 4.0's were lacking until I rode in a Land Rover for the first time. Their 3.9's and 4.6L V8's are absolute dogs.

I wonder how much more a 5-speed would do...?

When I dyno'd my 5speed 240sx back in '03 it put down 145whp and the same car with an auto put down 124whp

Back