• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the best vehicle and year to get a dana 60 from?

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
I want to upgrade both axles ans wanted to start gathering parts for it but not sure what year and vehicle is the bes choice?Not doing the sway for about another year but still want to learn about them.Thanks:thumbup:

the '78-'79 ford f350 snofighter front axle is the one to seek.
dont bother with a rear 60. 14 bolt gm's are much stronger & way cheaper.

have fun finding a 78-79frt 60 for a decent price, and why deal with the horrific ground clearnce of a 14 bolt

to the op, late 80's ford frt 60 out of a f350 are a good start, dont let peaple bs you that theres not enough room on the drivers side, for the rear check into 92-03 e 250 and e350 vans, 92-97 had drums and 98-03 had disc, the e250's came with 35 spline clip shafts, your only locker choices are arb or welded, e350's came with 30 or 32 spline shafts but have big bore spindles that acept 35 spline shafts with no machining, check out mine and mopar maniac's threads in advanced fab as were both running these axles for more info and pics

wasnt it F250 snofighters and all F350's?

:D

I run an '88 HP60 out of an F350, and a '99 LP60 out of an E350.

There is definitely less room on the later Ford front HP60s then the 78-79s on the driver's side for coil mounts and LCA mounts.

The E-350 axles are full float, 3.5" tubes, smooth bottom, standard D60 internals, and 32-spline shafts from the factory. Starting in 99 they got disc brakes with twin piston calipers standard. They also come with a flange instead of a yoke so that helps protect the u-joint. You can score these relatively cheap, and in my eyes they are definitely better than a 14B for a full bodied XJ.

How comfortable of a fabricator are you? Do you have experience welding to cast?

Plan out what you want to do with the axles as far as hard parts, suspension mounts (often times people build their own custom suspensions at the same time), lug pattern, etc.

Back