• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought a new to me 2001 Xj! Lighting questions.

Chrisp929

NAXJA Forum User
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 94,xxx miles .. purrs like a kitten .. clean carfax .. non smoker .. little tiny bit of rust on doors .. ( sigh ) ..

jeep13.jpg
jeep8.jpg

jeep7.jpg

jeep1.jpg

This is my second vehicle .. a toy so to speak .. i have a 2009 dodge ram .. but have ALWAYS wanted an XJ .. just never bought one .. always had other pressing things in my life .. well i had a hinkerin for one and i knew they were not getting any fresher, so i pick up my new to me jeep on wednesday !!! YAY .. ! LOVE it ..

I have a question .. ( many more will follow ) .

SO i have aftermarket HID's in my ram .. they were a PAIN to get to work correctly but the payoff is great .. its like daylight in front of my truck at night ..
i do NOT want to go through with my jeep what i went through with my ram so i have decided to just simply get this 'mysterious and powerful harness who's mystery is only exceeded by its power' . I also will be upgrading to IPF H4 headlamps... i have yet to decide which h4 bulb to run ..
please bear with me .. i have questions and i promise not to be one of those guys to cut and runs after his questions are answered .

1. the ipf/harness route seems quiet expensive .. the headlamps are on average $40 a piece, and the harness is like $104 from dpgoffroad.com, not to mention his bulbs are another $75. So the question is, can the harness be had for cheaper, but made just as well without spending so much ? Also, can i get more affordable bulbs at similar light output ? All that money, without going HID almost seems a sin.

My next question. I'm BIG on fog lights. my bumper comes with the cut out for them but it has never been fully cut out. So the model i have didnt include the fog lights. I want to purchase really awesome fog lights for my xj, that fit in the existing precut holes on my bumper.. i will try buy a factory fog lamp switch and wire them in via that .. does anyone make a headlamp kit who's hardware is specific to the xj's bumper/body mounts and harness from ONE company that i can just go and buy that anyone recommends ?
I LOVE LIGHT .. i must have bright light .. when i test drove my xj, it's factory lights are a HUGE disappointment. Lets just say that the amber turn signals on my 2009 Ram are brighter than my factory headlamps right now .. SAD SAD situation .. VERY UNSAFE..
Thanks everyone who replys .. i look forward to spending a lot of time here in the future .. YAY I GOT ME AN XJ !

1. the ipf/harness route seems quiet expensive .. the headlamps are on average $40 a piece, and the harness is like $104 from dpgoffroad.com, not to mention his bulbs are another $75. So the question is, can the harness be had for cheaper, but made just as well without spending so much ? Also, can i get more affordable bulbs at similar light output ? All that money, without going HID almost seems a sin.

My next question. I'm BIG on fog lights. my bumper comes with the cut out for them but it has never been fully cut out. So the model i have didnt include the fog lights. I want to purchase really awesome fog lights for my xj, that fit in the existing precut holes on my bumper.. i will try buy a factory fog lamp switch and wire them in via that .. does anyone make a headlamp kit who's hardware is specific to the xj's bumper/body mounts and harness from ONE company that i can just go and buy that anyone recommends ?
I LOVE LIGHT .. i must have bright light .. when i test drove my xj, it's factory lights are a HUGE disappointment. Lets just say that the amber turn signals on my 2009 Ram are brighter than my factory headlamps right now .. SAD SAD situation .. VERY UNSAFE..
Thanks everyone who replys .. i look forward to spending a lot of time here in the future .. YAY I GOT ME AN XJ !

welcome to the wonderful world of XJ!! congrats on a good find, she looks purdy

i'm completely on the same page with ya, "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"... is this the harness u'r looking to purchase?

if so, it's honestly the best packaged deal, that literally comes with all u would need to upgrade the OEM harness... i'm electrically inclined, & i've had plans to upgrade the harness myself, with my own wiring... but thats where my dilemma begins... i need/want my wiring to be neat, clean, protected, & safe... in order for that to happen, u need weatherproof fuse holders, the fuses themselves, appropriate relays & their holders, plug connectors for the headlight & factory harness (male, if u dont want to cut the factory side, & female, for the headlight/bulb), wire terminals, & heat shrink tubing... sourcing these components individually will add up, especially since i wouldnt just buy the needed fuses, relays, wiring, terminals, shrink tube, & plastic wire loom tubing... i'd buy in "bulk", & in some cases, u might not have any other choice but to buy a package of wire terminals, fuses, or wire

looks like the ipf kit comes with all that included... these guys have the material & components in bulk & are able to put the kits together, & very fairly price it... obviously, u are paying a "convenience" fee, maybe ~$40-50, but again, i feel to be more than fair

i've read their housings are the way to go... other cheaper options have plastic lenses, which tends to break easier (who'da thunk?), & also i'm assuming, if u could keep from damaging the plastic, i'd see oxidation problems that plague ALL new style lexan lenses being the other issue... go with the glass lens, & never fret... also, have read the light pattern of the ipf's are better than the rest

bulbs, u'll be converting to h4's... shop around for h4's, there are cheaper... difference is the shape of ipf's bulb... they're "bulbous" bulbs that allow for a higher current (60watt low beams/80watt high), & i guess (per their site info) the bulb design allows for performance of the bulb to equate to 190W lows/150W highs

when everything adds up, yea i've also considered just going with HID's... but as u kno, comes with it's own headaches... multiplied with the XJ headlight opening/housing/engine bay available real estate... ballasts & projectors & having to go dual beam bulb... oh my!

fogs, not sure or aware of "kits" to work in factory location/harness... the factory wiring & plug should be there tho, behind the bumper... i've seen it more than once, people find it & dont kno what it it is for, but ive traced it back to the PDC (power distribution center/fuse box)

good luck man, keep us updated!

dude,

that was an awsome reply and answered most of my questions .. i now feel confident in my decision to choose the harness and ipf route over HID's .. in the future i can always go to HID .. but not having a GOOD proper HID projector headlamp discourages me from going HID .. i dont want to be another one of those guys blinding everyone that i drive by ..

hey .. one question .. has anyone tried to use HID bulbs with the IPF headlamps ? .. i mean . if they have cut off ... THEY HAVE CUT OFF ... no ?

also im still in search of a 'factory like' fog light set up ... i found some supposed factory mopar xj foglights on amazon for 50 for the pair .. but i have my doubts as to wether they are what they say they are ..
i have to install some kind of fogs on there .. i can't go without .. just wont happen .. i may have to call some junk yards .. maybe i can get the fogs and harness for cheap locally instead of new ..

thanks

Note from DJ
This is the latest posting on headlight upgrading on this forum I think; it contains a lot of good info.
If you no some searching there have been others.
Better headlights
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1074685
OP by werewoulf3
Do they make any better headlights? I miss my HIDs in my mustang

I’m not looking for HIDs, just a very bright light.

------------------
Hear is one posting on fog lights but be aware of two things regarding Jeeps factory fog light system;
1. They are designed for 50Wat bulbs only.
2. They are designed as fog lights only; they only work when your headlights are on low beam. They are not driving lights.

Adding fog lights to a 2000XJ
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1051467
OP by samger2
I have a 2000 XJ and I'm going to be adding factory fog lights to it. It didn't come with them, but has the cutouts in the lower bumper valance. My question, is it pre-wired for them? I have an empty slot for the switch, but will I need to run wires as well?
-------------------
Again if you no some searching there have been others.
Please keep everyone posted with your upgrade or if you need additional info.

Please allow an enthusiastic home electrician recap some info ... please correct and adjust accordingly ..

The below diagram is almost perfect. As per other posts, the numbers on the switch in the below diagram are reversed .. from top to bottom, they should be labeled 4, 3, 2, 1 rather than 1, 2, 3, 4.
WiringDiagram.jpg

Taking into consideration that the above switch has the pins reversed, here is the actual switch image itself ..

So please allow me to recap HOW i should be running my wires.
Going by what is correct, and the actual image of the switch:

Pin #1 = Ground ( wired to the chassis or any good ground )

Pine #2 = 12v 'run' source ( a.k.a. a hot 12v only when the ignition is turned on such as tapped off radio power feed with wire tap )

Pin #3 = power feeding from 12v run to throw pole in relay to close circuit to turn on fog lights ( run from pin 3 to #85 pin on relay )

Pin #4 = switch illumination ( where the HE** do i run this to ??? )

Once i get that info from you guys, i should be set... i just need to know where to run pin 4 to....
help ?
thanks

If you didn't have factory fogs on your XJ the wiring is not all there. However the wiring should be there from the PDC to the switch. Which is good because that's the hard part. The factory setup on the fog lights is just as piss poor as the headights (the full current draw of the lights are run through the switch), and burning up fog switches is common. As far as harnesses are concerned your cheapest/ quality option is to make your own. All you are really doing it making two aftermarket light harneses, and powering your headlights with them instead of aftermarket lights. I'm assuming you where not serious about not understanding what the harness does for the lighting system.

http://www.delcity.net/ Is going to have nice crimp connectors, and the proper tool to get a quality crimp. as well as just about any other wiring related part you need.

AdvanceAuto Parts
Has these good quality light sockets. As well as 100ft spools of 12 AWG wire for must be a misprint price in certain colors.

Hehe .. yea i know what the harness does .. i was just jokingly referring to the movie Dude, Where's My Car' ... i have wired in Recon reverse light's into my dodge ram to work in conjunction with my reverse lights when i put the truck in gear, so i know how to wire with relays and fuses .. i just had no idea how bad factory wiring is in the xj .. kinda sad ..
all i really need now is to know now is where to run pin #4 ( switch illumination ) for my fogs and then i should be set for now .. i found jeep cherokee ' factory looking' fog lights with hardware on ebay .. they look identical to the mopar stuff .. so they should do .. i'll be purchasing the wiring harness for the headlamps since its purchasable and im lazy .. i'll have to make up a harness for my fogs .. ( no problem just time consuming to do it cleanly ) ..

i pick up my jeep today or tomorrow .. when ever the dealership owner gets back in from florida to write up the papers ..

Last edited:
I would follow the above wiring diagram when it comes to the fog lights. Remember that is a DPST relay, Bosch PN 0332019150 (w/hanger) or PN 0332019151 (w/o hanger).

I use it to power a set of HID converted Hella 500's (35w 4300K) off the factory switch. This allows them to be used in both low and high beam settings, while if running through the PCM will only allow use in low.

I took my illum pin from the factory switch, and spliced it into the illum for one of the other switches on my bezel, I think I did the EXT IDLE for ease.

good luck, and welcome
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

In the foglight wiring diagram above, the terminals may not be numbered correctly, but the colors are correct. I have one OEM fog, and one aftermarket replacement. The aftermarket part has a tendency to collect water. Aside from that rather annoying flaw, they are identical in fit and function. If you want true Jeep parts, try Jeepsareus. About $120 for the pair, and they also sell the retrofit wiring harness and complete kits.

I made my own harness for the fogs with one of these. Wire, terminals, some split loom, fuse holder, etc. I either buy in bulk off ebay, or go down to the parts stores for smaller packages.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KCC-3300/

There are cheaper headlight harnesses that work well; if you search a bit, it's covered in exhausting detail on here. The upgraded lighting horse has been beaten into a puree'.

dude,

that was an awsome reply and answered most of my questions .. i now feel confident in my decision to choose the harness and ipf route over HID's .. in the future i can always go to HID (exactly, in fact, it's necessary when going to HID).. but not having a GOOD proper HID projector headlamp discourages me from going HID (exactly x2!) .. i dont want to be another one of those guys blinding everyone that i drive by (thank u for not being that DB)..

hey .. one question .. has anyone tried to use HID bulbs with the IPF headlamps ? .. i mean . if they have cut off ... THEY HAVE CUT OFF ... no ?

also im still in search of a 'factory like' fog light set up ... i found some supposed factory mopar xj foglights on amazon for 50 for the pair .. but i have my doubts as to wether they are what they say they are ..
i have to install some kind of fogs on there .. i can't go without .. just wont happen .. i may have to call some junk yards .. maybe i can get the fogs and harness for cheap locally instead of new ..

thanks

no prob man :thumbup:

not understanding what u mean about ipf housings having cut off with HID bulbs... they're a reflective housing... "cut off" with HID is a product of projectors...

whats ur main concern with the installing aftermarket fog lights? size? mounting? integrating factory plugs with the new fogs?... find some ~2"x6" fogs (open up the holes on the stock location if necessary)... it'd be tedious to match up plugs, just to use factory wiring out on the bumper... i'd just run new feed to the lights from the relay in the PDC & take advantage of the wiring to the cab that activates it... to illuminate the switch, i'm assuming the wiring is there, behind the 12v plug/rear wiper/factory fog switch bezel... normally an illuminating switch, u just ground it & it illuminates when its internal circuit is closed... maybe tie #1 & #3 together :)dunno: should check how it's wired to illuminate from the factory tho)

also, on the relay schematic... 87 is Normally Open circuit & an 87a is a Normally Closed circuit... wiring lights to 87a terminal will leave ur lights on at all times... i think u already kno it, but no need to run the negative/ground all the way back to the battery, just a clean piece of chassis

The upgraded lighting horse has been beaten into a puree'.

OMG, i almost pee'd myself laughing .. haha

my concern with the fog lights is getting the fog lights that have factory bracketry to mount up to existing framework ... i don't want to be drilling holes or 'cobbing' up an install .. to find the factory fog housings would be killer .. then its simply 'bolt on' and the housings will sit where they should and look clean .. as for the wiring, i can do that myself .. a little bit of loom afterwards goes a long way ..

If you want true Jeep parts, try Jeepsareus. About $120 for the pair, and they also sell the retrofit wiring harness and complete kits.
DUDE .. thanks .. there are definately parts i want to buy there .. i have been looking for a site EXACTLY like this one for like a week .. a site with all factory jeep parts .. sweet ! thanks

Last edited:
np. They are expensive, but it's getting very difficult to find new OEM stuff like that.

Also, you will probably need a different switch bezel. Instead of using a single bezel for the switches, with plugs for the unused positions, they made three or four different bezels (the blank positions are molded in, which I think is absolutely retarded), depending on what options the Jeep was built with.

Not really. You might be able to make it work, but for $15 or whatever it cost me, I didn't want to fool with it and bought a used 3 switch bezel on ebay. This is the original from my 97. Notice the tabs to retain the switches molded into the open positions. They are not molded into the unused spot, but they went to the trouble of molding in a dummy port to hold the unused plug.

seriously... what a waste of time/material... before i was familiar with the XJ's components, i used to take things apart & sherlock holmes different things to see what/where they were & how/why they worked, i remember thinking that the factory somewhere along the line forgot to install something & that the dummy plug had to be for something...

later on, i combined that thought, with the fact that there were missing fuses & relays in the PDC, such as "fog lights, ABS, rear defrost, cruise control, etc.", & random non-connected wires, i thought my truck could've had these components & were maybe removed by the PO...

i have since learned that to "save" money, all models were wired with the concept that they would all have the same components, but would later be designated as "sport", "limited", "se", etc.

but yea, redonkulous to design a dummy plug, to secure wiring that is not used... chrysler, u silly corporate crack-heads

wow . thanks guys .. i was about to just buy a 40 dollar switch.. had i not waited, i would have then had to buy a 40 dollar bezel . ( what they are goin for on ebay right now ) ..

instead i just scored the entire bezel with switch for 52 shipped .. thanks !

Hey man. I got my plastic bumper endcaps with the factory fog cutouts. Mine were professionally dyed, so the blue-ish dings aren't there. You can have 'em if you're passing through Lehigh Valley area.

Thats very generous of you... But im not headed from ny to pa anytime soon... Id be happy to entertain paying shipping for them if your interested.. Lemme know ! Thanks

Also how does the dye work and is it a home brew ? Thanks

also, on the relay schematic... 87 is Normally Open circuit & an 87a is a Normally Closed circuit... wiring lights to 87a terminal will leave ur lights on at all times

Nope.

The diagram above, and the part numbers I provided, are for DPST relays. These have dual 87 blades (as depicted in the image) which BOTH turn on at the same time.

You are referring to a SPDP relay, which has the 87 and 87a blade.

Thats very generous of you... But im not headed from ny to pa anytime soon... Id be happy to entertain paying shipping for them if your interested.. Lemme know ! Thanks

Also how does the dye work and is it a home brew ? Thanks
This one guy we hired at work awhile back previously worked for an auto refinishing place. He could patch dash cracks, leather seats, fix fabric tears, headliner tears, paint chip recoats, etc., all on-site. I took all 4 endcaps off my 2000, and he cleaned them with acetone, and the dye was basically a spray can, except it was dye instead of paint. I had a few of those blue-plastic light impact marks on my endcaps too. Ran 'em for about a year until i threw on JCR rear and homemade front bumpers. Been sitting next to the garage ever since.

Back