• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag light

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
The 97 Cherokee I bought had the airbag light on.... the PO didn't know why. Upon examination it appears the passenger bag is blown. I don't plan on putting an airbag back in that spot as that will someday become my carputer and DVD watching screen for my wife. Haven't looked to see if the airbag in the steering column is still ok though.

The question is, how do I get rid of the airbag light that is continually on? My horn works, but not sure on the cruise control, I have to double check that. This is a silly question, but how does the cruise control engage in Cherokees?

I've never had/used it in any of my Jeeps, only my in-laws Saturn Vue and it was a weird way to engage... Turn on Cruise and hit the Decrease speed button.

Fix it or pull the bulb from the instrument cluster.

Traveling 35+ mph, press ON, press SET. COAST to slow, ACCEL to speed up.

If your airbag light is on and you don't have cruise control, you may be suffering from a bad clock spring or connection points behind the dash. Often, the horn, CC, airbag, and guage clusters act up intermittently or not at all and are related. Plenty of info on the board to keep you busy. Like this reply, only some of it is useful. Good luck.

I am suffering from this. My cruise and horn work. I have cleaned the contacts and added dielectric grease to the airbag control module in the console.

Any other thoughts?

If the airbag light is on, check the ground wire connection at the silver System Control box under the drivers seat, or under the floor console.

Clock spring failure is the most likely cause of an airbag light.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that there is absolutely no way to get the light off as long as one of the bags are blown.

Back