• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chronically loose panhard bracket - any fixes?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've about had it with this particular clunk.
The panhard / track bar bracket is always loose / clunking on the unibody frame rail. I've tried three different approaches, which have all failed. They are:
1. Bastard tight, strained against the breaker bar & called it good.
2. Applied loc-tite & torqued to spec.
3. Zap it on with a 3/8" impact gun until it stopped moving.

I don't really want to deal with this any more. Ever. Anyone had this issue and foudn a permanent fix? I'm about ready to put the jeep on a lift and weld the bracket in place permanently.

Is the framerail cracked or crushed behind it? Sounds like the rail is flexing causing it to come loose. How about the nuts that are welded onto the bottom of the rail? Ive had those little spot welds break free and let the bolt/nut move around.

Framerail looks fine. No reason it should be damaged - never 'wheeled or wrecked it enough to mention.
One weld nut on the engine mount bracket broke & has been replaced with a nut & bolt of same size. It seems to stay tight.

Aftermarket bracket or weld the SOB to the framerail

Install all brand new grade 8 or metric class 10.9 nuts and bolts. Use Red LocTite and torque the correct specifications. If the current hardware is coming loose, it is time to replace everything.

Back