• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard Start

werewoulf3

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep has had a hard time turning over the past few days.........it is getting harder and harder to turn over......its a 98 classic, auto.......im wondering where to start diagnosing the probem, either the starter, fuel pump or crankshaft position sensor

heres what it does, turn the key and it doesnt just fire up, its like someone is holding the belt and wont let it turn over easy

the battery has been tested and is in great condition, so that rules it out

If by "battery has been tested" you mean load tested, then I'd look at connections, especially grounds, from the battery. Don't forget that even a "bad" battery can "test" fine (showing 12+ volts), but will fail to provide necessary amperage.

Slow turning engine is a sure sign of a bad battery or poor connections.

Replace the battery. The end.

Autozone, Advance, O'Rielly's, Pep Boys... Not one of those places ever properly test a battery. I worked for O'Reilly's for 4 years and would "Test" batteries for people with those stupid little hand held things and it would say they were good. They were obviously DEAD!

What I want you to do is go grab a 12 dollar multi meter. Turn the pretty little knob to DC Volts. Put the red lead on the positive post and the black lead on the negative post of the battery. Then, have some homeless person try to start the engine. Log back on to NAXJA and tell me what the lowest voltage read WHILE starting the engine.

Back