• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nevada Wheeling and Camping, Dec 2-11

SC Rednek

NAXJA Forum User
I know it's a long drive for about anyone that doesn't live in Vegas, but it's a 10 day trip so it's worth it. Open invatation to anyone that wants to go, the more people the better, even if you can't stay the whole time.

I'll be out there camping, offroading, fishing, and quail hunting. Most of the trails are stock jeep friendly and the main roads are scraped dirt, but there are some challenging side roads and washes to play on. Nothing extreme like Johson Valley but it's still fun and a lot more remote. There's usually very few people out in this area, but in December it should be completely empty.

Main campsite is at N 36.301776, W 114.146168, it's over the hill from a main road, about 15 miles after the pavement ends. Where the pavement ends at Whitney Pockets there's a good size dirt lot that anyone trailering a jeep or ATVs can park at, or you can park about 20 miles down the main dirt road at Gold Butte. The camp is easy to get to with any pickup or SUV, a car might have problems. Nearest gas station is in Mesquite about 50 miles away.

If you don't tent camp, you can drive your RV in very carefully and park by Gold Butte, about 5 miles away from the main camp, at about N 36.283651, W 114.195328.

Let me know if you want any more information or are interested in going.

Here's a picture of where the main campsite will be.

campsite1-1.jpg

Some other pictures from this region

NorthwestOfGoldButte.jpg

DevilsCove_Lake-1.jpg

100_1512.jpg

devilscoverd.jpg

Last edited:
Too little notice for a ten day trip, too far to drive for a weekend :( Looks like nice country though.

There will be plenty of shooting on this trip, isn't that close enough?

Too little notice for a ten day trip, too far to drive for a weekend :( Looks like nice country though.

I originally posted this a week ago, that's more that enough notice. I just started getting ready for this trip tonight.

This is one of the best areas near vegas, I like coming out here. There's a few short trails I like better, but out here there's hundreds of miles of roads, and a lot of great scenery.

Last edited:
The jeep is finally fixed and gear is packed, leaving straight out after "work" today. If any of yall get your priorities straight sometime in the next week and realize you should be out wheeling, come on out, just bring me some more beer or Jim Beam, I'm not sure I have enough for 9 nights.

Well I came back two days early, sitting by myself next to the campfire listening to the coyotes for so many nights straight was getting a little boring, nobody else was going to come out this weekend either. And if I came back today I can go bull riding tomorrow morning.

Guess I should start planning big trips more than 3 months in advance.

Pictures later

That is awesome. Beamer and I would like to join you sometime next year in doing one of those trips. :cheers:

Looks like a great spot. I do a lot of tent camping, usually alone, and would be glad to join you another time. December is always a bad time for me to get away from work though.

It was a great time, just somewhat lonesome after a week. Didn't catch any fish, but I've never been good at fishing, only tried for about 3 hours. It is beautiful area, but very desolate.

There are several old trucks like that scattered around, generally near mines.

I go camping about every other weekend on average, I do longer trips like this once or so a year, I'll probably do another late spring or sometime next fall. Seems nobody like the winter trips despite the good hunting

Post up next time you're doing another long trip. Just because no one joined you this time doesn't mean you won't get some company next time.

Back