• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sub frame question

sandman99xj

NAXJA Forum User
I did my best trying for a search it had be asked before but didnt find anything. I apologize if I missed it and repeating a question.

Ive recently been doing a lot of work on my xj to prevent rust and repair rusted parts. I noticed that I have quite a lot of mud/sand and of course dirt in the sub frame. Does anyone happen to know the best way to try and clean it out??? I'd hate to have my sub-frame rot out after spending so much time/money into it.

Thanks for any help

Stick a garden hose in frame holes and let the water run for a while.

Greets; if you have an air hose try that first. Then the water. IF you are serious about additional protection, I wrote 2c about what I did.., lol, whether right, or wrong, I 'feel' 'mo-'betta as per a three day detailing at this link: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1073045

(lol, took me 45 minutes to find it as I had forgot to click on the "remember me" box, walked away to deal with stuff, and NAXJA forgot me, lol, thus the method I was using to find the old post was like a no show, i.e., not happening, page after page after page, etc.).

As part of gen. maint., I continue to make note of any bare rusted areas, and re-do them, albeit not as drawn out.., just touch-ups now in the summer, when the rig is completely dry, and warmish. Happy Trails.

You can flush out your frame with a garden hose, as suggested, but you'll still have rust in there eating away at your frame. Anything you do to prevent/remove rust in there is like putting lace curtains on a pig's arse. The XJ frame is a bad design. It will eventually rust away.

Every time I look at the rust under my truck I want to vomit. I think I may have about five years left on the beast.

Mine is a Rust Belt 99 Sport.

Back