• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another engine swap question

Chris89

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj motor trans and xfer out of an 89.
It seems i have thrown a rod in the 89.
I picked up a 2001 xj 2wd.
My plan is to swap engines into my 90. Using the 2001. I see the 2001 has a few different sensors and coil packs no distributor and from reading the injectors are different. I plan on taking the complete wireharness computer and everything else and parting the 2001 out.
My concern is that the 2001 tranny has a few more electronics then the 89 trans. Both are autos this is why i am posting. I am unsure if it would work.
Has anyone done this swap on this great of an age differant xjs ? If so what should i watch out for ?
Thanks for any advice. Chris

Swapping the 2001 electronics into the 90 involves removing and replacing all the wire harnesses and the complete dashboard with 2001 parts. It can be done, but is a large project.

Use the 2001 long block and install your 1990 flywheel, intake/exhaust manifolds, distributor, and any other engine sensors as needed. The 2001 has an 0331 head, you might want to swap that out also.

A very small percentage of 0331 heads have cracking issues, and you may run into some exhaust down tube differences vs. using a 1990 head.

Back