• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another cooling thread

cnjcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just got a new 2 row CSF radiator from radiatorbarn, because the stock one had a leak, and I had been running a little over 210.
Now I'm still running pretty hot when I idle or drive in traffic, Today I watched it while I idled and it crept all the way to 220. I've heard an f350 tranny cooller might help but since I was in idle I was wondering if that would help.
I have a new thermostat, and my fan clutch definitely works
2000 xj 4.0 231 AW4

Any tranny cooler will help a bit,try a mechanical gauge to check the factory junk one. You could also wire up the e-fan on a switch so you can flip it on when idling in traffic.When is the last time you did a water pump if it's old it could be wore out on the impeller and not circlulating enough which will cause higher temps.

Maybe there's air in the system?

What is a transmission cooler going to do to lower the coolant temp? Is the electric fan coming on?

When my XJ engine temperature go up, the AW4 temperature go up also. Since both of them uses the same radiator, I will assume that one,( either the engine is leading the AW4 or the AW4 is leading the engine) is leading the other into the over heating teritory. Now, if I could only isolate them. Time for an independant cooler dedicated to the AW4.

Adding a trans cooler is putting a band-aid on the problem. Why is the trans overheating? Why is the engine is overheating? A trans cooler is a good preventative step, but it isn't the solution to this problem. Before you wire up a switch for the electric fan or put a trans cooler in, fix the underlying problem.

Are you sure your fan clutch is working 100%?

Either the engine is putting out too much heat, running lean, or has an exhaust leak blowing on the block, or the cooling system has a problem. Either the coolant is not flowing fast enough (water pump or thermostat), or there is not enough air passing across the radiator (bad fan clutch). Overheating at idle is almost always the fan clutch, or sometimes the water pump, maybe in your case. Is the radiator cap any good? Get it tested. When cold, remove the radiator cap, warm up the jeep and check the coolant flow at the overflow neck for adequate flow. Fan clutches that seem to be OK, are not always OK. But if it overheats at 60 mph, it is more likely not the fan clutch. As others said, check that the E-fan is turning on at the right temp. Might get a scanner to see what the PCM temp sensor thinks the temp is, versus the dash gauge sensor!!!!!! One may be a little high, the other a little low, and the PCM controls the E-fan on yours.

No need for Tranny cooler unless you tow stuff.

Back