• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Park Lock Cable

xj-lm

NAXJA Forum User
I ve been chasing a ghost in my 97 xj (4.0 auto) for months. It started with not starting when the jeep was hot then stopped starting whenever it felt like. The key would turn but no crank, come back later and it would start up.I cleaned the NSS and replaced same problem. I found that if it does not start I touch the park lock cable and it starts up???? The relay portion of the cable that makes sure you have your foot on the break gets hot? Can anyone help me fix this, or explain why?

The NSS can be adjusted, as can the shift-interlock cable.

A clean NSS may still need to be replaced.

You understand that it starts when you touch the park lock cable, right? So the nss has nothing to do with it. Do you offer a solution on how to adjust the park lock cable?

Last edited:
The park-lock feature doesn't have anything to do with starting.Could be something else moving around when your applying pressure to the brakes(dash).

The cable adjustments are fast, easy, and free. Once adjusted, the cables can be crossed off a list of possible causes, and the OP can try to diagnose/troubleshoot the "hot relay", the NSS, and the ignition switch as other potential cause of the symptoms.

Back