• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deep Transmission Pan for 2000 XJ?

Does anyone make a deep transmission pan for the 2000 auto XJ? I’ve seen them for the older Cherokee’s, but haven’t seen them on the newer ones.

I've never seen a production deep pan for an AW-4 at all. A member here, GoJeep, made one a few years ago. That's the only one I've ever seen. If someone does make a deep trans pan for the early(87-forward) XJ auto, the same pan will fit the '00.

The only thing I can think you saw was a pan for the '84-'86, which would have had a Chrysler sourced TF-904, which several companies do make a deep pan for.

Here was GoJeep's solution: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoDeepPan.htm
The rest of his site is also worth a look, lot of good info there: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

Thanks tbburg for the useful post. You are correct in that I was referring to the '84-'86 models for the deep trany pan. PML makes one of the Jeep Liberty 42RLE, but the Jeep Liberty also shares the same trany as the Wrangler, Nitro, etc.

Who the hell wants to lower their ground clearance,buy a cooler!

I agree the only benefit of a deep sump pan is that it adds volume of ATF which in turn keeps the tranny/ATF cooler- some employ fins to add to the cooling effect. You can accomplish the same thing by adding a larger and external cooler infront of the rig- without scaraficing ground clearance.

You can pick up a nice B&M universal kit from Pep boys for about 100 bucks. They also make a compact unit you can mount anywhere with a remote 6" or 8" waterproof fan on it.

Summit sells a variety of coolers that are "inline" that are 12 or more inches long and are finned tubes like a baseboard heater that you can plumb inline if you want to keep in the intank cooler.

Not everyone who owns a Jeep Cherokee is needing to preserve every square inch of clearance space. Lift Kits and skid plates are used to offset clearance issues. As noted above, the main advantage is to hold more fluid. Obviously a deeper pan will hold more fluid, thus providing more cooling. The Aluminum pan and fins would also reduce transmission temperatures. A magnetic drain plug would capture metal shavings, keeping your fluid clean. We already have a drain plug, so that’s not an issue like it is with most trany pans. A temperature sending unit would allow you to monitor transmission temperatures. The larger capacity is nice for those of us who tow.

X2 on the cooler. I have the derale trany cooler.

Just for fun, here's the difference between the KJ PML pan vs the KJ OE pan.

31489300074_large.jpg

31489300076_large.jpg

11044_cf_stock_lg.jpg

If you follow the link to GoJeeps site, he has a pic of his extended pan. The deep pan is still over an inch above the cross member.

Back