• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axles or tcase

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
debating on weather i should regear my axles now or to reagear my dana 300 with the 4 to 1 kit.
my plans are to run 39.5- 42" tires

could someone help me with the final ratio?

Trying to improve street or offroad driving? sig says 5.13s in the axles already... can't go much further than that, 5.38s will improve your final ratio by 5% over 5.13s. D300 4:1 kit will give you a 53% improvement and you only have to mess with the case instead of two axles. On the other hand you'll be putting more torque on your driveshafts instead of keeping the torque multiplication further down the line.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

I only see gears down to 5.38 for those also. If you're after offroad torque not street gearing improvement I'd just go for the d300 kit, unless the axles you're installing aren't geared yet, then I'd do both since you're dropping cash on R&P sets anyways.

I leanred the hard way that stock axle gears and a 4:1 kit don't work so well. My Samurai has 6.5:1 in the t case and I had to gear the axles to 5:13 just to keep from destroying the tcase and ujoints. If you do it you'd better put ctms in your drive shaft and have one hell of a cross member.

the labor is like 400 bucks. to me that kinda like insurance. most companys around here will back what they do.

i have done 1 regear successful and attempted a 9"

i have depth mics at work, is there a chart on the pinion depth with out guessing?

There are specs for pinion depth.

There are specs for pinion depth.

Yeah,but very few people have the tool required to use the factory specs,plus most aftermarket ring/pinions DONT use the factory marking system.

Back