• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AGR Steering box

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone recommend this box? My stock steering box is bad enough that on center changes with every drive and it likes to pop and jump to the side on acceleration. I need a new steering box.

While searching, a lot recommend the Durango box, but the only ones I can find are either used for $100-200, or remanufactured for $400. For that cost, I can get the AGR Super Box 2. Yes, I know it is also reman'd, but it's a company with a pretty good rep. I also saw PSC come up a few times, but their comparable box is $100 more. They have one with a stock sized piston for $100 less than the AGR, but I figure, might as well get better power out of the box. What I didn't find was much info on AGR outside of the Rock Ram.

I can't afford a new pump to go with, but my pump seems to mostly be ok. I sometimes lose power assist when braking for a turn or at low speeds in the parking lot, but it's not a constant thing. I also have a Rugged Ridge style (or possibly even from Rugged Ridge) steering box brace that I need to install.

Note, it's strongly recommended that you replace everything as a system to avoid contamination. That means the pump, steering gear box, and associated hoses. Don't try to cut corners for the sake of cost. A fluid cooler is recommended too. I just did all of this recently myself.

We'll have to see what it would run. I might do new hoses and just flush the pump/reservoir.

It uses a larger piston, but I don't know if it's a different box or not. From AGR's tech support (Thanks Serious OffRoad for calling them to get the answer for my question!), it doesn't require a spacer though.

Darky,

PM me. I have a company local to me that has drilled and modified my steering boxes for assist, and hopped up my pumps. Should be able to save you some money for a very good product.

Russ

I found my durango box a couple years ago on car-part.com. I paid $75 shipped. One of the midwest guys just picked one up on there for $50.

Personally, I like the durango box. They're out there for cheaper than $100-$200.

A large portion of one of my paychecks went towards a PSC-SG061R: http://goo.gl/1x8gP

I did the TnT 4-bold conversion: http://goo.gl/0XnQa

I'm not currently running ram assist but ya never know. I might wanna run 37+ someday.

I put in an order with Serious Off Road earlier for the AGR, but will likely need to get my Ford's box rebuilt soon.

I ran my AGR superbox 1 for about a year with no issues, but a few months ago the snap ring that holds the seal on the pitman gear broke and I dumpped all of the fluid. I have a buddy that the same thing happened with his as well. Should be an easy fix, but its something to keep an eye on.

I like my PSC box. Definately more power than a stock box(to turn my 37s) and it is tapped for hydro assist if I wish to add that in the future.

Back