• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Consumption Help

DrShaggford

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ 4.0 Auto 180k miles.
My jeep has been using oil for a while but the past 6-10k miles it has gotten out of control. I've lost 3 quarts in just under 2k miles. There is no oil in the coolant and I do not leave oil spots on the drive or at the parking lot at work. I do have some oil on the air filter but definitely not 3 quarts(only one corner of the filter has oil). I have not checked the plugs recently but I will be checking them Wednesday for sure. Also I do get a bit of smoke when I first start it up but doesn't happen all the time and never more than 3 blocks distance. Can someone please help me find where my oil is going.

Any oil in the coolant? If your not leaking it all over the place it sounds like your burning it. Possibly a blown head gasket or worn out rings.

I plan on checking compression tomorrow weather permitting, as well as pulling the valve cover to see if there is any oil pooling somewhere. Being time for an oil change as well I might run a couple of quarts of ATF before I change the oil to clean her out a bit and hopefully help fix the problem or make it more obvious.

Back