• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high pitched squeal

lsc910

NAXJA Forum User
Hello this is driving me up a wall cause I cant figure it out. I have a 00 cherokee, 4.0l with aw4 trans and every now and then I have this high pitched squeal while driving it. When it happens and I hit the gas it goes away most of the time. today while driving it was there when I stopped so I got out and popped the the hood and it sounded like it was under the car so I climbed under and it seems like it was coming from the front of the trans. If anyone has any Ideas on what it is and possibly what I can do to fix it please let me know.

Take a look at your serpentine belt. Does it look glazed on the back side, or need tighening? Last time I had that high pitched squeal, I cleaned the smooth pulleys, and replaced the belt. Mine would squeal while running the a/c or high load on the alternator such as aux lights.

Get a spray can of belt dressing and when it is squeeling, spray the belt and see if it changes/goes away. Actually you can use carb cleaner and just listen for a change.

Its not the belt. it sounds like somthing in the front of the trans. While diving it it will come and go when I hit the throttle and some times it will be there at idle. It seems that when it gets hot it happens more

Back