• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found the problem (D35)

88justin

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so i posted here earlier about dropping the clutch and braeking something....i had my friend run next to the xj, while i was rolling slowly. He pinpointed the noise to the rear differential. it appears to be at the frequency of the pinion rotation, so i think i may have broken a tooth, or twisted it a bit.

assuming i need a new ring gear as well, how much should i look at spending if i

-do it myself
-have a shop fix it

and would it be cost effective to just swap the axle with something stronger? I do plan on going with some 33"s in a year or two.. I think either way, i'll be changing the ratio along with the fix.

what do you think?

-thanks

If you'll be going to 33's in a year I'd say you might as well take this opportunity to upgrade that axle now. That is of course assuming the problem is severe enough to warrant a new set of gears.

Perhaps a ford 8.8 from an exploder might be something to look for. They come stock with disk brakes and can be found with a 4.10 gear ratio. The width is just about dead on as well.

So, if you've got a blown spider or something simple like that just put a new one in and run your current axle until you decided to upgrade. if you need a new set of gears don't waste your $$ on the stock axle.

I would say the spider gears are gone not hard to do yourself. I have a set of new spiders if you need some I will let them go for real cheap. I got rid of the D35 so I don't need them anymore.

axle

what ratio axle I have a 3:55 in the garage complete ring and pinion all the spider gears and carrier cheap cheap. John

If it IS gears, I would say go ahead and change the axle. But I would have to suggest a Dana 44 out of an old Cherokee. Yes, the Ford 8.8 does have disc brakes, but...he would have to find/buy the axle, get the mounts re-welded, and then change the front gears to match the back or vice versa (unless he has a 4 cylinder). With a Cherokee 44, you just have to find/buy it, and put it in. Granted, he would still have to change the gears if he had a 4 cylinder.

im going to open it up this afternoon. and ill let you know whats going on.

Id definitly be interested in those spider gears if thats the problem.

Im sort of in a pinch because i really dont have a lot of time to spend fabing mounts for and axle, and dealing with disc brakes.

if I could drop in an 8.8 and just hook up the brakes, i would, but i cant deal with the master cylinder and whatever else is needed.

one question: Did they make a D44 for the Xj with 4.10, or 3.73 ratio?

I have 3.73 now, and id like to change the ratio while im dealing with this. the front ratio change could come later.

would i have to lengthen or shorten my driveshaft if i went with an xj D44? I'd like to not have to cause i just got the TW driveshaft in ( i ordered it the wrong length, sent it back, took a while) and id like to not have to send it back for the second time.

thanks a bunch:)

You could also swap in an 8.25 cheap. I got a newer 8.25 with 4.10's in it and only 35K miles on the axle for $180. It was a simple bolt-in.

The 8.25 and the D44 have about the same length pinion but the D35 is shorter than both!

I'm not entirely positive, but I don't believe they made an XJ 44 with 4.10 gears. The reason I say this is because the 44 came as part of a tow package, and I don't believe the tow package was available on a 4 cylinder. That would mean that any XJ 44 you find, (they mostly came out of '87's & '88's) will have 3.73 gears. As far as the install, I got my 44 out of a wrecked '87, my '94 originally came with a C-8.25, I pulled it out, slid the 44 in. No gear problems, no yoke problems, no driveshaft problems, no brake problems. But as far as swapping from a D-35, I'm not sure what all is involved, but ask around, I know alot of people have done it.

I must have the odd ball. I have an 87 Chief with a D44 no factory tow package and 3.73 gears.:wierd:

88justin said:
im going to open it up this afternoon. and ill let you know whats going on.

Id definitly be interested in those spider gears if thats the problem.

Im sort of in a pinch because i really dont have a lot of time to spend fabing mounts for and axle, and dealing with disc brakes.

if I could drop in an 8.8 and just hook up the brakes, i would, but i cant deal with the master cylinder and whatever else is needed.

one question: Did they make a D44 for the Xj with 4.10, or 3.73 ratio?

I have 3.73 now, and id like to change the ratio while im dealing with this. the front ratio change could come later.

would i have to lengthen or shorten my driveshaft if i went with an xj D44? I'd like to not have to cause i just got the TW driveshaft in ( i ordered it the wrong length, sent it back, took a while) and id like to not have to send it back for the second time.

thanks a bunch:)

Im in Tucson... and I have a d35 out of my 88XJ.. you said drop the clutch, if you have a 5sp and in line 6 youll have the 3.07 gears I have. saying you have 3.73s you do have a 4 cylinder?

I may be of no help.. if you need other parts let me know...

Back