• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Proportioning Valve

banderso

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up the internals from a ZJ proportioning valve to swap into my non-ABS '91 XJ. Tonight I pulled the internals from my XJ valve, and comparing the parts and some of the info I've found here has me a bit confused. Hopefully someone can give me a little insight.

First of all, here is a picture of the parts I have. XJ parts are on the left, and ZJ parts on the right. The plungers are different diameters, and the XJ spring appears to be a hair shorter and have a slightly larger wire diameter. Both springs have 7 windings
IMG_0066.jpg

In this thread OverlandXJ shows pictures of both the XJ and ZJ proportioning valves. Notice that his XJ spring appears to have 8 windings, while the ZJ spring has 7 windings. His ZJ plunger is pink.

So, did I pickup the wrong proportioning valve (I really thought I got a disc/disc ZJ valve)? Did I pull the right parts, but accidentally confuse the springs?

Thanks.

Was the ZJ you pulled the parts from also non ABS? To be honest.. i dont recall for certain whether my parts came from an ABS ZJ or not.. that could be the difference in plunger color.

I tossed the old XJ spring, i cant verify length/winding any more.

EDIT: Reread what i wrote in the thread you linked.. i pulled those parts from an ABS ZJ.

I really can't remember if the ZJ I pulled it from had ABS. I'm not too concerned about the color difference between our ZJ plungers. The springs are a little puzzling though. Do the numbers on the rubber end cap signify anything? I'd like to be a little more confident that I have the right parts before reassembling. Thanks.

Back