• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing the condenser...

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question for those who have done it.

Is it possible to replace the condenser without removing the radiator? Or, is it possible to do it without draining/disconnecting the radiator?

It seems like I'd be able to remove the upper radiator support, along with the front grill, which would then enable me to remove the condenser whilst leaving the radiator connected... Anyone had any luck with this approach?

Sounds like mor trouble than it's worth. I can pull the radiator in about 15 minutes and I'm what you might call a shade tree mechanic

Damn, okay.

Looks like I might need a new radiator anyway - one of the top studs is completely seized to the nut, and torquing it thus far makes it feel like it's about to shear off the radiator... Hit it with a torch and PB Blaster twice now, hoping that'll salvage it.

Otherwise, this repair just got more expensive. Hurrah!

Oh yeah - and the radiator support bolt that also supported one of the battery mounts sheared off with what felt like 10 lb/ft of torque. This is turning into a goddamn pleasure.

My wife hears me throwing things and cursing and says..."what's wrong..".

I say, "nothing's wrong, I'm having a great time!"

...she barely understands.

Depends on the year, which you did not mention, and yes it can be done, as far as leaving the radiator hoses connected, and not draining it, but it is a two man job, one lifting and holding the loose radiator/hose attached assy, while the other gets the AC condenser mounting straps out from under the bottom radiator rods that stick down and out of the bottom of the radiator into the mounting straps that hold the AC condenser in place at the bottom side, which means removing stuff you need to remove anyway, but just leaving the coolant hoses still attached. I have done it 3 or 4 times.

What year is it?

Many apologies - it's a 2001... With the factory transmission cooler.

I fought through it and made it work... Just removed the upper support and the front fascia (headlights, grill, etc.) and wiggled it out. Seeing that it was a bit puzzle-like, I took my time in order to avoid damaging anything and managed to finish the job. The transmission cooler made it considerably trickier, but alas, I managed to get it done.

Turns out the radiator bolt I broke was the driver-side stud that is based in a block of rubber on top of the radiator... I did the heat and PB Blaster route a few times, and immediately hit it with a wrench after doing the last application of heat (d'oh!) and it simply ripped the bolt out of the bushing/block/whatever it is. Fortunately, lining things up properly when putting the upper radiator support back on has resulted in everything being nice and snug.

I managed to drill out the passenger-side upper radiator support bolt that I sheared, however, I can't quite re-thread it yet. If I drill any larger, I'll damage original threads, so I'm saving that battle for last so I can have time to ponder it. In all likelihood, I'll simply drill it to a larger diameter and re-thread it for a larger bolt.

Thanks for the input guys - always appreciated!

Back