• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toying with the idea of inverting the UCAs resting angle...

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
toying with the idea of inverting the UCAs resting angle...

there is a method to what I am thinking of...

the LCAs are 22 5/8" and have a resting angle of around 5° (+/- 1°)

the UCAs are 19"

so I figured if I pointed the frame side of the UCAs down a degree or two the the following would happen:

ass the suspension droops the UCA would at first push the pinion upward, then it would level out and start to rotate the pinion downward

good idea? bad idea?

this is what I could do with out cutting / beating the floor pans... (might be able to move the frame side mount up a hair more)

nocut.jpg

BUT with some minor trimming / beating the numbers start to look a lot better...

withcut.jpg

I really should have done the uppers first and then built the lowers around that... I guess another option is to shorten the uppers a little bit so I have a little more room to work with (maybe a 1/2" at most)

my advice:

do less thinking and more wheeling.

ive had a radius arm with shitty numbers and a 3 link with awesome numbers

they both drove over rocks
they both drove down the street awesome
they both kept my front axle under the jeep
they both were fun to wheel

I think you may have created at least 4 million threads about this scary setup you are building on something like 5 forums. Either build it or don't...

I think you may have created at least 4 million threads about this scary setup you are building on something like 5 forums. Either build it or don't...

what is scary about it? I mean they are WAY stronger than the stock arms... my buddy's dad (who has been a professional welder / fabricator for close to 35 years) says the welds I have done on the unibody look fine to him... so really I don;t see what is so scary about it... let me guess if I had made the arms instead of salvaging them then it would not be scary?

maybe you are thinking that moving the upper an inch or 2 into the floor board is a 'scary' idea... the fact of the matter is that it is more common than you might think

maybe you are thinking that allowing the upper to be mounted a little lower on the frame side is 'scary' idea... but the fact of the matter is that the JK is setup that way in the front from the factory... besides that I abandoned the idea...

I am sorry buddy but I just don;t see what you are trying to get at here...

what I find scary is people running short arms on anything above 3-3.5"... but it's not uncommon for people to run it on 4.5" or more

and it's 3 forums... I would rather get the opinion of 3 forums than one...

excuse me for trying to get it right on the first try...

Last edited:
it's more the fact that 1. you have posted about that you are going to do this on those three forums for like a year straight now, and suggested others do it, and variously said you have either already done it, or seen others do it, or are going to do it, or have already done it on a buddy's jeep... and that wonderful picture you have linked to multiple times showing what you intend to do (which thankfully is apparently not what you intend anymore.) And 2. it's not the welds, you can be an awesome welder and still have a horrible design. It's the design that I am worried about.

If I am misinterpreting this, my apologies. but I've been seeing this for a while and it scares me because it shows a fundamental lack of understanding how to design suspension. I don't claim to know how to do so, but I can usually tell a bad design when I see it.

Getting it right on the first try is something I fully agree with. No argument there. I simply don't know why you need to ask so many people and discuss it for so long when all this info is, as you have said, commonly available.

How did you fix this problem on the first JK Mid-arm build you did? Seems you would want to see replicate it.

John

there was no adjustability it was just a couple tabs... so the brackets where much smaller... there was almost 3 more inches to work with

that being said my JK arm swap is working great... you are welcome to take a closer look as we both live pretty close to each other... I will be in Edgerton, KS some time next week... iirc Spring Hill is on the way

Last edited:
there was no adjustability it was just a couple tabs... so the brackets where much smaller... there was almost 3 more inches to work with

that being said my JK arm swap is working great... you are welcome to take a closer look as we both live pretty close to each other... I will be in Edgerton, KS some time next week... iirc Spring Hill is on the way

I am sure I will see it on the trails soon enough, so I will just check it out then.

John

Back