• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan is stuck !!

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
:gonnablow:gonnablow:gonnablow:gonnablow

The damn oilpan won't budge at all. I'm changing the clutch so i figured i'd change the rear mainseal while i'm under there as it's had a leak for a while but i just can't get that dad gum pan loose!

Is there some clever trick to it or what???

:banghead:

I had the same problem.

First, make sure you didn't miss any mounting bolts.

Next, put a piece of wood along the side of it ... as low down as you can get. Hit that wood with a mallet and repeat on the other side.

Edit: lofin0704 got there first

Last edited:
I double, triple and quadruple checked the bolts.
Beat it with a rubber mallet
Beat it with a 2x4
Beat the 2x4 with a sledge hammer

Cracked a beer and called it a night.. If i go back in there i'll smash something :D

Use a metal punch to smash two big holes in the pan ... about 2 inches apart.

Run a giant hook through the holes -- attach a chain to the hook.

Attach the other end of the chain to the tow hitch of another rig ... drive that rig away.

Look in your rearview ... if your XJ is following you, you have a very serious problem!! :gee:

:cheers:

ive had a part of the alternator (?) or something get hung up up front... cant remember what it was, but it was obviously in the way.... beyond that.... get a prybar that's shapped like an uppercase L , aka a kittypaw. it seemed to help me.

i hear ya, i call in favors from friends and pull the entire front axle before i'll mess with an oil pan. sure, its tons of extra work, but all my suspension is aftermarket, and pulling front suspensions definately gets easier the 99th time you do it, everyone knows their jobs and what needs to be done.... it goes fast enough.

I ended up wedging successively larger flat blade screwdrivers in the RF corner of the pan, between the pan and block. I eventually decided that it would be ok if I destroyed the oil pan to get it off and bent that pan lip 90 degrees + before the pan gasket finally let go:yelclap:

Ultimately I pulled the body hammer and dolly out and straightened the lip back out. Not pretty but it works ok now.

Hey Norwegian,

Go to auto parts store...buy Permatex ( or similar) "Gasket Remover". It's nasty stuff, wear gloves. Spray it heavily around the entire seam of the pan.

Wash your hands, have dinner, beer, sleep...two times for me the pan was just laying on the axle next morning.

I use a putty knife about 1.5" wide with a sharp edge like a knife to get between the pan and block. I then work it around the edge. Usually, once you get 3/4 of the pan free, the rest comes easily.

I usually use 6-9 flatcranium screwdrivers. Start in one corner and just work my way around.

And yes, if you can get a one piece oil pan gasket, those are the way to go. When I built my stroker I scrimped and saved so that if there was an upgrade to a gasket I could afford it. The nicer valve cover gasket is well worht the money too.

is it stuck like its loose but wont come out? remove the transfercase skid. jack the transfercase up a few inches and the pan will come right out.

is it stuck like its loose but wont come out? remove the transfercase skid. jack the transfercase up a few inches and the pan will come right out.

Got the tranny out to swap the clutch. Clutch was uckfupped cause the main seal leaked...

Finally got that sucker loose. Cut around the sides with a carpet knife and tapped screwdrivers in where ever i got fit them.
That "pop" when it broke loose was freakin beautiful :D

Now it dawned on me i forgot to order the gaskets for the oil pan :eek:

Think i could get away with using RTV all around the pan or is a proper gasket needed?

You can use RTV. But, you'll need to make sure that the oil pan mating surface is flat, especially around where you were prying on it. You also want to use as little as you can, just enough to make a seal. Too much, and you'll get the trademark globs of a hack mechanic.

Back