• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window Mystery

Scorpion8

NAXJA Forum User
98 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L. All of my power windows work from the driver's control panel, but none work from the individual door panels. Yea, I've tried the window lock button in every configuration possible. Am I missing a fuse somewhere or do these develop shorts in the door panel controllers such as the door lock push button?

Don't take the door apart. If you want to bypass the lock out switch take the kick panel off on the driver's side. Find the white 3 wire connector with yellow. tan, and black wires. Install a jumper between the yellow and tan wires. I've done this on mine and the girlfriends. Takes 10 minutes start to finish. You could install a push button switch with your jumper wire if you like for your own redneck lockout switch if you like.

The door lock push button has gone bad - this is very common. Either replace the entire console, or do a search for how to wire it up so that the switch is bypassed - you will lose the ability to use the lockout switch if you bypass it.

This'll fix it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/97-power-window-fix-w-pics-288655/

Don't take the door apart. If you want to bypass the lock out switch take the kick panel off on the driver's side. Find the white 3 wire connector with yellow. tan, and black wires. Install a jumper between the yellow and tan wires. I've done this on mine and the girlfriends. Takes 10 minutes start to finish. You could install a push button switch with your jumper wire if you like for your own redneck lockout switch if you like.

Ya'll are awesome for folk that don't live in the Great Land! Thanks!!!!

Same thing happened to my '98 classic. I bought the new driver's side switch assembly from rockauto.com. It wasn't very expensive if I remember right (though it is a made in china part) and it was very easy to install with just a phillips screwdriver. Problem fixed and been working good for about a year now. Just another option if you don't want to go the bypass route.

I had the same thing happen on my '98 XJ 2 weeks ago. I tried taking apart the switch
but I broke a rocker switch pivot while trying to remove the switch tab. In retrospect, I
should have performed the wiring bypass. Anyway, it turned out that 2 solder connections at the Window Lock switch were weak and had cracked. This seems to be a common illness with these switches. I got a replacement switch assembly by Dorman
(Made in China) from Amazon. It installed, fit, and works perfectly. The original Mopar
switch was made in Mexico.

How did you get the switch module apart? I removed the screws and (carefully) tried to pry it apart. I can't tell what is holding it together and I don't want to break it.

There's tabs all around. Take a small flathead and pry up on each of the tabs. It's a little tricky because you have to keep those tabs disengaged while you work your way around.

You mean the switch covers? Yes, if you didn't take them off yet, do it. Careful though. Some of them are like cemented on there. I've broken a couple of the switch retainers by trying to pry them off. Best way to do it is to get a small flathead and go under and between the cover and switch and twist. This will put force on the switch, not on the retainers.

Back