• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Column Removal

mms_picture.jpg

got the lower dash out? theres 2 studs/nuts connected to 3 black bracing bars, pointing up, halfway down the dash, easy to find, then theres 2 into the firewall.

i had tried to post a pic but i guess it didnt work. i can't get the part where the blinker, wipers, key cylinder is out even though i've got all the bolts out.

what part are you trying to remove?

what are you looking to fix?

(I swear I will try to help, if I know what you're trying to do)

P.S. pic link worked, but copy-n-paste the imagecode instead-- it'll put the pic into the post

im just trying to get the steering column off to put in another jeep because the gears inside are stripped and wont work when i try to start with a key,

Oh. Wow. Uh.. you don't need to disassemble every little thing to get it out. The steering wheel can stay on, even. You took out the main bolts, right? So the pinch bolt to the lower shaft and that should be about it along with the wire connectors.

ya dont mess with the steering wheel. there are 2 15 mm nuts underneath the column u take off. Then there are 2 11mm bolts down by the firewall u take off. Then an 11 or 13 mm bolt u loosen on the steering box shaft. Then you pull it out.

Take off the lower part of the dash to see the nuts!

ya dont mess with the steering wheel. there are 2 15 mm nuts underneath the column u take off. Then there are 2 11mm bolts down by the firewall u take off. Then an 11 or 13 mm bolt u loosen on the steering box shaft. Then you pull it out.

Take off the lower part of the dash to see the nuts!

X2^^ absolutely no reason to disassemble the column to swap them--

pull everything from the steering gear box to the steering wheel as a single unit and swap it all.

Back