• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard to start after using AC

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
this is my DD so I use the AC when the heat if unbearable. we have had a heat wave punch us in the face this past week and I was running my AC. Before this week I wasn't having any problems but now starting is becoming difficult.
here is what is happening:
while the AC is running the volts are taking a dive on the meter. my gauge goes from 14 down to twelve so it looks like the alternator isn't working. This only happens when the AC is on. (alternator is only a year old)
when it comes to starting, the engine cranks for 4 or 5 seconds then starts but during this time it sounds like its struggling to start like there isn't enough power. could this be the AC compressor causing this?

...could this be the AC compressor causing this?

Yes, the extra load from the A/C compressor can affect the alternators performance. Mine does. It puts an added load on everything on the belt.

Don't know the fix, but I'll be listening, I need to fix mine too.

Back